Melanurus wrasse

mred

Supporting
Reaction score
What experience have you had with this wrasse?  I am particularly concerned with its interaction with mandarin gobies.  I had a six line that butchered my pair of mandarins.

I am speaking from my experience. They are the most peaceful of wrasses. Great for pest control too. I currently have a six line and a melanarus without any issues or aggression shown.

My melanarus is awesome. Constantly picking at the rocks and great at keep pests out. Only gripe I have about him is he has killed 2 leopard wrasses I've attempted to add. I have a coral banded shrimp and a fire shrimp in my DT and he could care less about them. Overall great fish

They will eat pods so they could be competitors for your mandarins. Unless they're eating frozen that could be an issue. My melanurus went after all inverts in the tank. The only issue I had was it was a bit of a bully towards new wrasses at first but then cooled off.

I have a melanurus and a 6 line wrasse with no problems he eats a snail here and there but he stresses any other fish with similar body shapes

my melanarus ate shrimp much larger than i expected.  grabbed them and slammed them into the rock in one fail swoop instantly breaking them apart, then ate the pieces.  Other that that, great fish, i enjoyed having mine.

My Melanurus pair were model citizens when it came to other fish and most inverts however, I could not keep any kind of shrimp.  They would wait until they molted and attack.

I've had a melanurus and they are both beautiful and ideal tank mates.  Mine never bothered the shrimp.  I kinda of wish it would've destroyed them as I can't stand the thieving little buggers.

Back