Mental 750XXL Build and Preparation

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
Good evening all, my wife and i have decided that we will be going with the Red Sea 750xxl. We are hoping to order it next month from Premier Aquatics more then likely. She got the house painted like she wanted, so now its my turn to get what I want!!! Below I will list what we are planning so far with a few questions and suggestions, please feel free to chime in. We are planning a fish and coral tank, only softies and lps at the beginning but hopefully some sps oneday. I didn't plan on it, but this build seems to be coming in a bit more expensive than we planned. But it will be worth it, once we see it start getting life in it! Please let me know if you would do something different, some items I will search for used but most new or near new. I have my equipment for water station on order, once it arrives I will start looking for rock to start curing. I plan on doing at least a 2 month cycle on the tank, it won't be a rush job as I work a lot during the summer. I hope to have life in it around September maybe christmas, not really sure yet!!! Thank everyone.

1. Red Sea 750xxl
2.Skimmer Red Sea RSK 900
3.Jebao 5000 for water station
4.Ecotech M1 for return pump - want to be as quiet as possible
5.Lights - still thinking between 4 hydra 26 hd, 2-kessil 700, or 3 hydra 52 hd
6. Thinking of running a full apex system to help automate and simplify. Should I start with apex or wait?
7.Only doing an ATO at first, maybe an AWC later.
8.power heads - we have not decided, thinking about trying the new gyre 350. Im not sure we will be able to afford the vortechs! Any suggestions

I love Red Sea tanks also I was reading that new skimmer works really good.
You’ve got a solid plan, can’t wait to see this progress!

I have a Red Sea and recently helped build a 750. My advice is simple get good equipment that is adequately sized out the gate. This way you’re not having to constantly modify and change. On the powerheads I have two gyre 250 and 2 mp40 on a 525. My friend has 2 gyre 280 on his 750.

I have a Red Sea and recently helped build a 750. My advice is simple get good equipment that is adequately sized out the gate. This way you’re not having to constantly modify and change. On the powerheads I have two gyre 250 and 2 mp40 on a 525. My friend has 2 gyre 280 on his 750.

Thank you for the input, that's what im going planning to achieve. I don't want to have to buy twice! I have secured a vortech m1 return pump already, so good to go there. How does he like just the gyres on his 750?

+1... The post from @seand is on point. Don't dare skimp on that Red Sea or any other tank for that matter. Buy the best you can afford. I Own a Red Sea 525 XL. For flow I have 2 Neptune WAV pumps and a Gyre 250. It's predominantly SPS so that's why all the flow. Where you are planning for fish, LPS and a few softies, a ton of flow is not necessary. I have a Jebao RW 20 running right now along with the gyre because my Apex 2016 crapped out yesterday. My lights, pumps, skimmer and ATO are all out. :( I said all that to tell you that everything on that tank has potential to fail. Have a backup plan!

[QUOTE="urbanknight,

Im sorry to hear that, hope it all works out I would be freaking out. How do you like the neptune pumps because I was thinking about those since I will be running an apex maybe the el. Im leaning toward the hydra 52's for the lights.

Agree with all. Buy right the first time. I have upgraded too many times and wish I would of went with the right stuff the first time. With that said don't go with the most expensive expecting the best quality all the time.... Case in point I'm currently back to my jebao DC return pump. My Neptune COR 20 power supply failed on me again... This is failure number two for their power supply. I have the APEX Classic and knock on wood has been great. I haven't upgraded because I've heard to many stories like @urbanknight ... I think there QC needs work. Do your research, make a plan and don't be quick to change to the latest and greatest.

Lighting: I love my Gen 3 Radions supplemented with t5's.

Also, have a back up in place. For me I have a back up pump plumbed with a union that is a 5 minute change over from my primary pump. I have had to use it twice before and it has made it a stress free process. I will also have a second gyre 350 on hand to swap out in case of powerhead failure or if i need to take out the primary for a good cleaning. I had the original Gyre. Lasted me 4 years of constant use. Just got the 350 and love it. Much improved and extremely quiet.

Thank you for the input, that's what im going planning to achieve. I don't want to have to buy twice! I have secured a vortech m1 return pump already, so good to go there. How does he like just the gyres on his 750?

I’m yet to find anyone that doesn’t like their gyres so far. The 280 move a lot of water.

Agree with all. Buy right the first time. I have upgraded too many times and wish I would of went with the right stuff the first time. With that said don't go with the most expensive expecting the best quality all the time.... Case in point I'm currently back to my jebao DC return pump. My Neptune COR 20 power supply failed on me again... This is failure number two for their power supply. I have the APEX Classic and knock on wood has been great. I haven't upgraded because I've heard to many stories like @urbanknight ... I think there QC needs work. Do your research, make a plan and don't be quick to change to the latest and greatest.

Lighting: I love my Gen 3 Radions supplemented with t5's.

Also, have a back up in place. For me I have a back up pump plumbed with a union that is a 5 minute change over from my primary pump. I have had to use it twice before and it has made it a stress free process. I will also have a second gyre 350 on hand to swap out in case of powerhead failure or if i need to take out the primary for a good cleaning. I had the original Gyre. Lasted me 4 years of constant use. Just got the 350 and love it. Much improved and extremely quiet.

Thank you for your feedback, I love your plumbing jobs first of all. I have seen some of your post, they are very clean.

Thats the plan, the main reason for going with the m1 over the jebao return pump was for silence as ive heard great things about them plus I got a good deal on 1. I'll use the jebao fir my water station. Tou guys have me already doubting getting the new apex, or at least waiting to get one.

The lights as of right now I like the hydra 52 with maybe the artistic life t5 hybrid set up, but this may change as I continue to research and get feedback. Do you only run the gyres?

You guys have me already doubting getting the new apex, or at least waiting to get one.

I have 2 of the new apex. Don’t get me wrong it can aggravate me to no end at times but it’s helped me no less that 10 fold.

Do you only run the gyres?

I have on my reefer 525xl
1 XF250 on each end 2/3 up the glass (2) programmed opposite of each other up to 60%
And 1 MP40 on each lower back corner of sides (2) on reefcrest at 50-60%
Lots of flow

Back