Mesh Top and LED Lights

jhutto

Reaction score
I have been using Metal Halides on my 210 and up until recently T5s on my 25 nano. The Metal Halides crystalize the mesh tops in center and appears the new Hydra is doing same on nano tank.

Do those that use the LEDs find that the mesh crystalizes and needs replacing fairly often on tanks with LEDs? Mine is the standard 1/4 inch that Acroholic used to sell.

I made my own mesh top using some lace type stuff from Michaels and a screen kit from Lowes. Works great and nothing really gets caught on it other than salt creep on the frame itself.

Kessil A360 over a JBJ 30

Sounds like a Crystal Mesh lab!

Using ATI T-5's on one tank and a pair of AI Hydra 26's (non HD) on another...No Crystal Mesh.

flimflam;1088804 wrote: I made my own mesh top using some lace type stuff from Michaels and a screen kit from Lowes. Works great and nothing really gets caught on it other than salt creep on the frame itself.

Kessil A360 over a JBJ 30

Pics? Sounds interesting

You might be using a fiberglass/plastic mesh. I've never experienced this happening with a typical metal screen mesh.

All the UV light packed into LEDs and halides bulbs now-a-days will make quick of fiberglass and plastic.

Yes, its plastic mesh I am using. Always have. Screen mesh was too dense I thought.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Clear_%C2%BC_Inch_Netting_with_UV_Stabilizer_for_Aquarium_Screen_Top_Accessories_for_Aquariums-Agriculture_Solutions_LLC-6B1200-FIAQAA-vi.html">MarineDepotLink</a>

The one in the link above says it has some UV resistance which should help.

Back