Messy Damsel

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
My tank has been really stirred up and cloudy for the last two weeks. I originally blamed my Snowflake Eel since he is always moving substrate around but typically not often enough to make such a mess. I've been on the lookout for another culprit and it turned out to be one of my Blue Damsels. He's one of two that have been in the tank for at least 3 years and this is the first time he's done all of this. He will go under rock and do a little dance that throws up all kinds of junk in the water. Is this normal? He's never done this before. The end result is a small depression that really looks like a breeding bed. Also, when he does stir things up he turns around and eats some of what's thrown up. This leads me to believe he's doing it in part to kick up some food.

Has anyone had a damselfish that's done this and will it stop? It's not a huge problem but it make the tank look perpetually dirty. Will all of this stirring up have a negative impact on water quality? Esthetically it's not pleasing but I'm also worried about the effect it might have on the rest of the tank.

He's a SHE.

She's fanning. Damsels and clowns will fan away debris from a given spot in preparation to lay eggs.

They don't always lay eggs, even lone females will fan. Makes a heck of a mess, doesn't it?

Jenn

JennM;468150 wrote: He's a SHE.

She's fanning. Damsels and clowns will fan away debris from a given spot in preparation to lay eggs.

They don't always lay eggs, even lone females will fan. Makes a heck of a mess, doesn't it?

Jenn

Wow - no kidding? the larger of my 2 maroon clowns has been doing this like CRAZY recently - kicks up a ton of substrate and debris right in front of the BTA they are hosting, all the way down to the glass bottom. I thought maybe she was kicking up debris for the BTA to eat or maybe clearing a path. hope she lays eggs, that would be so cool

SHE'S a pain. I don't mind her doing this but she scatters substrate over my ZOA's and mushrooms as well as making the whole tank cloudy. It's really just unsightly. Any thoughts on if she'll knock it off? How much does it affect the penetration of my lighting? At this point I'm really just curious as I don't plan on trying to get her out. Plus, when I tell my Daughter what she's (the damsel) is up to I'm sure the little nester will be the new favorite...

My first Tomato clown fish was a big girl that would never host an anemone, but would fan one spot in the tank and move all the crushed coral all the way down to the undergravel filter. My days were filled with mousseing my mullet and rearranging my crushed coral.......

Ah, good memories.....

Once that behavior starts, it's not likely to stop.

JME...

Jenn

Back