Metal halide dimmable ballast

reefstinger

Market
Reaction score
OK, I have 2x250w MH 20k radiums /lumnex fixtures , and running both magnetic ballast! they are very expensive on the power consumpsion. my questions is should I purchase some electronic ballast and also can you get dimmable MH ballast to run on these 2x250w radium bulbs?? Does anyone have vids of dimmable metal halide fixtures over your tank?:unsure:
are the electronic worth the money?? and does the power bill drop using electronics.

Dimming Radiums will change the color spectrum.
I would ride out with what you have. You won't see any difference on a power bill going to electronic.

I found it, i remember MR Saltwatertank guy was at a show recently . the cali show, it was a twin arc MH 10k/20k bulb reefbrite bulb. Does any run these?? if so whats the results and Pros and Cons of this bulb. comes in mogul base only.

Edit: Thanks Seth

Edit: anybody run these

If the two bulbs are only drawing 250 +/-10% watts each and the average cost of kilowatt is $.10 you are only spending $.05 per hour to burn them. That is only $.60 for a 12 hour day. Now that does not take in to consideration of the added heat but that would be a minute difference with any ballast. I agree with Seth I would stick to what I have unless the ballast are over driving the radium and making them too white.

Thanks guys, I just ordered 2 new 20k radium bulbs $78 a piece. I only use a fan across the top of my display to cool the water. a little more evaporation but it does the job. Thinking seriously about biting the bullet and getting 2 ea xr30w ecotecs. You guys have been so great on the hep!! Im joining ARC as a member this week!! Hold me to it Grouper.
Grouper, my new setup is looking great. thanks to you helping and answering my setup questions in the diy thread. Im going to imagine ocean Friday and pickup some sand n salt from Jenn. I would love to be at the meeting Saturday , but i will be doing a tank transfer. Go look at my setup video on onestinger at youtube, please send me some info for a successful first timer tank transfer. One day transfer.

Edit: step 1. i have a 75 gallon fuge setup and cured 1.025 sal in basement . isolated at the moment. also a 20 gallon QT tank with new sw. I will have to drain the 75 gallon fuge and the 155 gallon dt of the tap water.
step 2 add some of my 110 gallon old system water to the new tank , maybe enough to cover all the LR .
Step 3. move all lr to new setup, set on the new 155 gallon bottom glass.
step 4. add dry sand , 3 in layer in a large plate so it settles quicker(after rinsing good in ro water.)
step 5 remove my fish and few corals to temp containers( with existing tank water and small power head. or bubbler
step 6 . add a top layer of old tank substrate and sand live sand on top of new dry sand to seed.
step 7. let tank run and clear up after i complete the water level with new rodi mixed saltwater. add socks to sump to help clear quicker.
step 8. add fish and corals to tank , is this legit?? watch my video on youtube to see the new setup and livestock . my old tank is 1 year old . more worried about losing my green long tentacle anemone and my large finger.

Back