Metal halide for 20 gal reef

holley123

Market
Reaction score
I am looking to get a metal halide fixture to support mostly LPS and some SPS. Not sure what k, probably more on the blue side. My options are limited as I am in Japan and they believe very strongly in LEDs (not a fan) therefore I will have to order it from online. Please give me suggestions on what brand you like best, what wattage would be sufficient to support some SPS at 6in deep and LPS at 12-14in deep, as well as what k I should go with (on the bluer side). Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I run a 150watt MH on a 20 cube'ish tank 24"x18"x12". Itll keep SPS without problem and LPS and softies as long as you acclimate them to the light carefully. I have a 14K bulb with LED supplement to bring it closer to 20K. If your looking for just a MH with no other supplement you will most likely want a 20K bulb. I have an aquamedic Ocean Light and like it, but there are many options. You can go much higher wattage wise, but I dont think its needed.

400watt 20K over a 20 tall (Not my tank)
a>

I run two 150w14k Phoenix bulbs I've my 30 gallon cube with a blue stunner strip for dawn/dusk effect. I live these bulbs and they seem to burn bluer than the 20k ushio bulbs I was using before them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holley123;961391 wrote: I'm thinking a 150watt 20k with an actinic t5?

Sounds like the ticket to me. Plenty of light to keep most anything but not so much you have to acclimate everything too carefully. I would just check par ratings on bulbs and take that into account when deciding on mh bulbs, as you sacrifice some, or alot, with different 20k bulbs

NorthGaHillbilly;961447 wrote: Sounds like the ticket to me. Plenty of light to keep most anything but not so much you have to acclimate everything too carefully. I would just check par ratings on bulbs and take that into account when deciding on mh bulbs, as you sacrifice some, or alot, with different 20k bulbs

What should I look for in the par ratings? I've never got too technical with lighting. Not to mention the Air Force has taken me out of the reef game for about a year, so some of my knowledge has slipped away unfortunately.

I've been happy with my phoenix 14k bulbs, there not blue enough for me, but I'm currently running an LED actinic supplement and really dig it. I'm switching to a fixture with a 150 and two 24 watt T5 actinic, I'm going to be using the same bulb as now. I've never had problems with the amount of light being too weak, the other way pretty often. I looked around on the Web and couldn't find a summary for of all 150 bulbs other than one on 10k bulbs. But if it'll be blue enough for you they have a pretty high PAR for a 150 in general.
I'm no expert, but hope that helps. Hope the Air Force brings you home soon.

Not a Halide guy, but at only 6" of depth..... I wouldn't worry about par being too low with a bluer bulb.

Back