Metal Halide Light Problem

gmanjeep

Market
Reaction score
Hi, I have 2/ 250 Watt Metal Halide pendants on my tank. Everything has been working fine until yesterday Morning. When the lights come on, Only one of them lit up.I thought it was a bulb issue at first, so I changed out the bulb and still nothing. I then switched the ballasts from one side to the other and the ballast is working fine also. So, all that is left is the light fixture /Pendant unit itself. I have never had it apart before. Is there a starter unit or something in there that can go bad? Or maybe just the wiring come loose on the inside? Any Suggestions on What to look for inside this Pendant that would cause it not to light the bulb? Thanks!!!!!:sad:

Sorry to hear that the light has gone out!

First, I would make 100 percent sure that the ballast is not the problem. In my experience with metal halides, the ballasts tend to go out way before the lights... do you have two seperate ballasts for each of the lights? If that is the case, I would suggest plugging in the light that is not firing into the other light's ballast.

If the light still does not fire, then the most likely scenario is is that one of the three wires that connects to the fixture (black, white, and ground) has been pulled loose. I would open up the fixture and check the connections to each of the wires... if that is the problem then it is a pretty easy fix. I like the screw-on wire connectors (you can get them at home depot or lowes).

I hope this helps!

Yes.I have 2 separate ballasts and I did switch them around and both are working fine. It has to be something inside with the wiring. I just haven't had the time to remove it from the inside of my hood so I can look at it yet. Thanks

If the ballast works for one light and not the other, then it is probably a problem with the lights internal wiring.

Check it out: when I re-wired my MH fixture, I took some pictures for my build thread... I am certainly not an electrician, but this might help you with the wiring:

Here are the wires going into the fixture from the ballast:
DSC02479.jpg
alt="" />

The wires should be color coded... find the wire that is loose, and re-wrap the cables:
DSC02477.jpg
alt="" />

Screw the wire connectors onto the wires to ensure a good connection:
DSC02480.jpg
alt="" />

In all likelyhood, the wiring is the problem. Let me know if you need any additional help getting the fixture back online.

I removed my pendant today and I found the problem, although I haven't fixed it yet. The Metal spring clip that holds one side of the bulb in place pretty much melted into 2 pieces and is not able to be repaired. I don't know if most 250 watt pendants use the same clips or not, but I am pretty sure the company that made my lights are not around anymore. (Aqua Medic)
Any suggestions??????

Edit: Never Mind, I found the part that I needed online. Thanks

gmanjeep;750436 wrote: I removed my pendant today and I found the problem, although I haven't fixed it yet. The Metal spring clip that holds one side of the bulb in place pretty much melted into 2 pieces and is not able to be repaired. I don't know if most 250 watt pendants use the same clips or not, but I am pretty sure the company that made my lights are not around anymore. (Aqua Medic)
Any suggestions??????

Edit: Never Mind, I found the part that I needed online. Thanks

If the clip is melted, then it would probably be easiest to just get a new MH pendant.... with the rise of LED's, you can get a really good deal on a used pendant.

Back