Metal Halide Troubleshoot

rgardner

Market
Reaction score
I purchased a used retro halide setup. 3 x 250watt sockets and 20k mogul bulbs. When I first ran the setup I didnt have three bulbs just two and used the first two sockets. Everything was fine. I then moved the two bulbs to the outside sockets. Everything still fine. I ran this setup for about two weeks. Then today I purchase another 20k hamilton bulb. The middle socket flares up but doesnt power the bulb all the way up just the very middle. I know its the socket because I tried the new bulbs in that very socket. What should I try??

take the bulb out and insert your finger with the power on...see if you feel anything...no don't do that j/k. i would try to see if it is a capicitor issue.

It may be a weak connection or a bad bulb. Check the socket for any corrosion and also try and old bulb in there.

What brand are the other bulbs? are your ballast magnetic or electronic. Is the bulb compatable with the ballast? What ballast does it have or what brand of fixture? Do you have a probe start or pulse start ballast? More info needed.

How long did you leave the bulb trying to fire. I have heard sometimes with new bulbs it can take exponetially longer for them to fire the first time but have not expierienced it myself.

The other bulbs are hamilton's and the bulb the is not lighting is the coralife 20k. The bulb thats not lighting works in the other sockets...they are pulse start, hamilton electronic ballast...im pretty sure its a single socket issue...any ideas?

Back