Methods of water change question

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
How do you all fill your tanks back up after a water change?? Here's what I've been doing-with somewhat a success until last week. I would empty the desired water out-then I'd already have some salt water mixed-outside of the house; I'd get my wife to plug in a submersible pump that had a water hose hooked up to it--and I'd pump it into the tanks until my tanks were full. That worked fine-but now with the newborn, I'm kinda looking for alternative means of water transport. I still like the pumping idea, just need to cut her help out--has anyone tried those appliance remote controls?? I thought about getting one of those-that way I could hit the remote and turn water on/off; anybody had any dealings with anything like this?? How do you fill your tanks back up??? I used to use 5 gallon buckets and it was just too back-breaking and time consuming-not to mention a major PITA! thanks

<span style="font-size: 12px;">Eric, first off congrats on the new born. I have a 14 gal. So water changes are not a problem. I marked a 5 gal. Bucket. I drain the water out to the mark and then pour in the new, one gal. At a time.
I have used the remotes on our Christmas lights and they work very well. I got mine from Radio Shack.
</span>

I use X-10 remotes for a lot of things, but not for water changes. I use a submersible quiet one pump to pump water out of the sump to drain and then to pump new saltwater in from a 32 gal brute trash can. If I need to change more, or vaccum the sand, just pump replacement water from from the brute to the display.

I'm going to be plumbing in a new SW holding tank soon, but right now there's a big trash can in the middle of the room when I'm changing water!

Just put a on off valve on the end of the fill hose. plug in the pump...

i do have a remote on my water mix tank, but i dont really use the remote that much. the valve is simpler

yeah--sounds like I'll do one of the two; I'll think about that valve--I just hope it wouldn't make my hose burst-I don't guess it would as long as I didn't leave it on for long time.

empty into 5 gallon buckets, discard

MJ1200 from tub back to tank

no brainer

It would be an extra line running though the house but run the pump off an extension cord plugged in to a power strip by the tank. when you are ready to pump flip in on with you foot and then when you are done flip it off again.

ckwatson;159019 wrote: It would be an extra line running though the house but run the pump off an extension cord plugged in to a power strip by the tank. when you are ready to pump flip in on with you foot and then when you are done flip it off again.

that's a good idea, you could tape the extension cord to the hose as well

I use the extension cord method and 2 rolling 44 gallon clean trash bins. syphon water from the tank at the same time I Mag3 pump water into the 1st chamber in my sump. 40G water change in <15 minutes. I then use the same Mag 3 to pump the water outside.

You could leave it on for hours it would not matter.

Python hoses are preety good up to 30-35 PSI, I use a big pump to pump tank fill water it will only put out about 20-25 PSI. (most smaller pumps rarely put out 10 psi) I do this about once or twice a day 200 days a year for many years never had a bust. The only reason i have the remote is because my water tank is in my truck and i want to run down the battery when it running off the inverter.

Back