MH light bulbs

william1

Market
Reaction score
I wanted to have a poll on this but what the heck. I wanted to know what everyone is using for MH bulbs (brand and k rating). I am going to get some MH soon as was wondering what everyone uses. I really think I want 20K's on my tank I like the color. So come on give it to me already!

Well, I just ordered a 400W Reeflux 12k after seeing Ankur's tank. You will swear it's a 20k. I currently have an 250W Oddesea 14K, but it is very yellow and IMO ugly.

I have had experience with EVC 400W 10ks, great PAR and growth but too yellow IMHO. I just picked up 2 Blue Life SPS 14Ks, I'll let you know once I get them up and running this weekend.

Ushio 14k and XM 20K

The xm are dim compared to 10 & 14K bulbs. I haven't seen or used the reeflux, but have heard they're great.

I think the best bulb on the market (SE) is the ushio 14K if you can supplement BLUE, not actinic, but blue.

I run Iwasaki 15K 175W SE's They are whitish with hints of blue. Really great growth for a 175W, but thats also because they pack a mean PAR rating. If I had the money to do something different, I'd prolly go with the 400W Reeflux 12K with the coralvue ballast. Amazing color and nice growth.

Come on only four people with MH I know you guys are out there! Come on!

Phoenix 14K DE 250W. Good Par and I like the color.

What colors are you looking for? I have PHoenix 14k 250w..They look blue, so if you are after the blueish color I would recommend them.

i like the looks of the reeflux 12k on a magntic ballast, it seem to be the best MH only light IMO. but you almost have to use the 400 watt-er to have the same PAR as the 175 Iwasaki 15K

What seems to be the best 400 watt bulb for 20K? With really good par. My tank is about 22" deep its a 90 gallon but I want 800 plus watts. Crazy I know but I just cant stop thinking of that color it would be and I could have anything I wanted in there.

I would do t5's but it seems that the retro kits are 139$ roughly for 2 48" (54 watts each doesnt seem like much) I have two 265 watt pc's now and I want more watts. I know I can configar a bulb combination for the color I'm looking for but the shimmer off the MH would be nice on my corals.

I did not know that! Im still new to the whole lighting thing. So if I went withhttp://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=cur_t5ho_retro_48&Category_Code=d1a&Product_Count=22
4 of these sets so there is 8 bulbs that would be more light or (better light) than my 2 PC's?

merchant.mvc

will this is much better and only like a few dollars more after you buys bulbs trust me it is what i use
merchant.mvc

Back