MH Lighting inexpensively

pamelahaley

Market
Reaction score
I noticed the lights in the warehouse at work today are Metal Halides... I'm guessing work lights are a bit less expensive than tank lights. I had bought Craftsman MH work lights from Sears for $20 eternity ago and wonder if it's safe to rig them into hanging lights for a tank.

I've seen high bay units in some LFSs. I work in warehousing and every place I've been at has used halides, 400w. The place I'm at now replaced all the halide units with T5s. I think the problem with using them for our tanks is the reflectors aren't very efficient. But then again, 400 watts will compensate for that.

I've used warehouse/manufacturing MH's over tanks in the past. There are some issues to be mindful of: The ballast will be magnetic, which means it will humm. It will not be enclosed (I doubt you want to use the entire enclosure) so you'll have to figure out a way to enclose it. Depending on age and type, it may be a set transformer meaning it can only handle a certain incoming voltage...normally 220 but could be as high as 480. These can't be modified. If it has a "multi-tap" ballast then yes, you can wire it for 110 applications. The next thing is it will be HOT! You'll need to figure out a fan or it will overheat and shut down. Finally...you'll not use the original reflector but at least want a cheap spider reflector. That's what I ran mine with until I upgraded. I'm not saying it can't be done but unless you know what you're dealing with, it may not be worth the money or hassle.

Also, industrial lamps are pretty far off the color spectrum we typically use.

cr500_af;576735 wrote: Also, industrial lamps are pretty far off the color spectrum we typically use.

Is that a reason to use actinic on the sides?

I may as well go with something pre-done, I'm not an electrician. I'll see what I go through reconstructing the hood of my 10 gal with flourescents

Industrial MH's are generally around the 3500 to 5000 kelvin range...very yellow over water. Not good at all for aquarium use. All the hardware is usable but not the bulbs. You'd probably come away much better off finding a good used unit made specifically for the application. You say this is over a 10g tank? If so.....you won't need more than a 70w fixture.....150 would be absolute tops I would think.

Those industrial fixtures are HUGE(!!!!!!) and also quite utilitarian in appearance.

It would work, but it would really look like a Franken-tank.

Dakota9;576810 wrote: Those industrial fixtures are HUGE(!!!!!!) and also quite utilitarian in appearance.

It would work, but it would really look like a Franken-tank.

LOL Franken-tank! Ive had a couple of those, thank God I got remarried or I would still have them..

Back