MH lighting

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I have been running a Nova Extreme T5 (4 x39w) set up on my 45g tall tank. I dont think I am getting enough light for some of the SPS that I have in my tank. Can you run a MH light with out a chiller. I have seen some units that have one MH and some T5 I am guessing actinics. Or should I be ok with what I have?

You don't need a chiller to run MH lighting if you stay with an no canopy or an open one with plenty of circulation. You also have to watch the temps in the house during the summer. I seem to find my 2x250w MHs raise the tank temp by 4-5 degrees at the most but I do have fans running and a lot of evap.

any ideas on a fixture I dont have a hood so retro is out for now? I am thinking 1x 150w MH and 2x 39 T5

Look at the "Outer Orbit" MH / T5 Actinic fixtures. Aqua Buys may carry them or I got mine form Drsfostersmith.com. The sit up on legs so there is room for air flow.

I had an Outer Orbit and loved it. It was over kill on my 20 gal, and barely adequate on my 92 corner.

Ok I have been looking around and i think i may just need to build a hood and do a retro set up. I was thinking (if possible) 2x 75w MH and 2x 39w T5 actinics. Maybe 2 fans near the center to top to pull heat out. If I keep the MH off the water 4-6 inches do you thing this will over heat my tank?

as long as you have fans blowing across the water you might be ok.

Back