MH question

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Ok well I was thinking today and it hurt to think too :) but i was pondering that certain construction equipment uses MH as a light to light up a job. So I was wondering what is the difference between the ones you buy like from lowes that has two 250w bulbs(other than the fact that they are probably for tank lighting and would just need a bulb) but for the housing and ballast, which is usually small and on the unit.

I'm just curious is all.

There are many types of ansi ratings on ballasts. You want to match the bulbs to the correct ballast.

Some of those are MV instead of MH, so check that too!

Many people use industrial ballasts on their aquariums, btw.

mmmk, whats the difference between those or is there a website that explains all this?

I was just curious as I saw a lighting set a Home Depot for $20 and it had 2- 250w bulbs for 500w total. Dismounting and retrofitting to a canopy or "free-styling" it wouldn't be too hard, and just run two actinic t5's on either side.

I'm about to have my 30T set up and would like to be able to place my 3 SPS corals anywhere is the tank besides near the top. but its still developmental, i'm sure other have opinions as well, i shall wait and review there's as well

Ah yes... we've all asked this question. It basically comes down to the color spectrum. The bulbs you are looking at for construction are going to be around 3000-5000 Kelvin, or very, very yellow. While you'd probably have some decent PAR, your algae growth would be unreal and your corals would have no color to speak of.

As I understand it, the reason that those MH's are cheap is simply due to supply and demand -there's a lot more demand and manufacturing of "standard" MH bulbs than MH bulbs for the reef industry (in the blue spectrum).

ok, correct me if i am wrong, would the bulbs for reef aquariums fit the industrial lamps?

and i see you are right on the yellow color as my dads are like that.

and algal growth would not be desirable

Kirru;260180 wrote: ok, correct me if i am wrong, would the bulbs for reef aquariums fit the industrial lamps?

As Raj said - it depends on the sockets and ballasts. The sockets are pretty standard, but the ballasts are pretty much matched to the type light you're trying to fire. I suppose you could make it work using an industrial setup (and some people have), but you'd be best off to just use parts that everyone else uses. The cheapest option is to buy the ballast components and make the ballast yourself.

Besides, rest assured that if there were a cheaper way to do something in this hobby, it's been done already! :)

mojo;260184 wrote: ...Besides, rest assured that if there were a cheaper way to do something in this hobby, it's been done already! :)

True :up:

SE bulbs use a mogul socket, so ANY mogul socket will work.

DE bulbs are different. They will NOT work on HD fixtures.

Skriz;260181 wrote: Are you looking at DE or SE?

DE

mojo;260184 wrote: As Raj said - it depends on the sockets and ballasts. The sockets are pretty standard, but the ballasts are pretty much matched to the type light you're trying to fire. I suppose you could make it work using an industrial setup (and some people have), but you'd be best off to just use parts that everyone else uses. The cheapest option is to buy the ballast components and make the ballast yourself.

Besides, rest assured that if there were a cheaper way to do something in this hobby, it's been done already! :)

yea, and it'd be nice if someone made an index of what they did and if it worked to make it easier on us who are just starting.

I think 250w would be a little too much on a 30T right? what about 150w or what do you recommend?

Either will work. You'll have more options with 250w, but more heat. 175w may be a good compromise. It honestly comes down to what kind of fixtures you can find that fit the 30T and see what options you have from there. If a Current Sunpod will work, you can choose between a 150w or a 250w DE setup - either would work.

okie dokie, and if i decide to dump the MH idea until i can get a really big tank, what T5 set-up would work?

ahh, gotcha. i've been looking at some and I am not sure 96 total watts would cut it, but I dunno. I may get a bigger tank and have it drilled(if not already) and have that instead of the 30, that is the dream. then i could have more lighting, and the 30 is 21" tall so PAR wouldn't be that good towards the bottom

Kirru;260203 wrote: okie dokie, and if i decide to dump the MH idea until i can get a really big tank, what T5 set-up would work?

T5 HOs would probably be fine on that tank, even for sps. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Wy tank is 30" deep and gets decent light at the bottom with 8 overdriven t5s

Back