MH vs T5's

1percula

Market
Reaction score
I know this is an old subject, but I'm not sure of where to go on this one. I currently have a 36 inch 300 watt MH on my system. 2X150 MH bulbs. I replaced it with 6 24 watt T5's.

I don't know if this is a trade off of equal value or if I now have less ability to light my system with the T5's vs the MH. I can add another 2 24 watt T5's to the configuration to cpmpensate.

Or I can just buy the 30 Odessey 346 watt system. One 250 MH and 2X24 watt T5's.

In summary which is better replacement for 2X150 MH? The Odessey configuration or 162 watts of T5's (6 bulbs) or 206 watts of T5's (8 bulbs)?

I prefer MH over T5's any day. The downside to MH is electric bill and heat. But just look at Dave (Acroholic's) tank....all MH and his coral growth is amazing.

I'm a mix use person. I have T5's for morning and evening light. I have twin 250w MH's for mid-day light. My corals seem to love it and it doesn't seem to add that much heat to the tank (although I do have a twin 6" fan cooling the canopy). My tank stays pretty steady at 80-81 degrees year round without a chiller.

porpoiseaquatics;612728 wrote: I'm a mix use person. I have T5's for morning and evening light. I have twin 250w MH's for mid-day light. My corals seem to love it and it doesn't seem to add that much heat to the tank (although I do have a twin 6" fan cooling the canopy). My tank stays pretty steady at 80-81 degrees year round without a chiller.

Ive been thinking of adding a strip of maybe two or three T5's to the front part of my canopy that folds up to add some more light towards that part of the tank as I have the reflectors mounted as far forward as possible.

I've never used MH...

On that note, I have incredible growth under my t5's (geissman)

Back