MH warehouse fixture conversion Possible?

jbb-square

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck converting hi bay lights with 18" domes and metal halide bulbs. These are heavy duty Die cast aluminum with 400 watt service and quad voltage hook-up. (120,208,240,277) for use with their fish tank?

Can you put a smaller watt bulb in the unit for less light and heat?

These units are on Craigs list for $25 each so looks like the cheapest MH on the market but it may be a case of you get what you pay for and in the end cheaper to find a used sunpod with 175w MH.

Any thoughts on this subject would be helpful.

Yes you can use them. They are ugly but they do work. You would need to replace the ballast inside in order to use a smaller wattage bulb. I have some 175's if your interested.

i have some 400 watt and 1000 watt complete i'll sell were pulling them out of the store as we speak

Yes you can use them. Just use a bulb with the same rating as the ballast. You can not use a lower wattage bulb without a ballast change. You will need to check the tap to be sure they are tapped at your supply voltage(120 or 240).

Sal, What are you pulling out the highbays for? What are you putting back in?

No intent to threadjack.

Jason

Sal, good call on the MH swap-out. I was just thinking last weekend at the auction how those warehouse reflectors are probably wasting a lot of your expensive light.

Thank you everyone for the help. Looks like I will have to spend more to upgrade lighting since I do not think my little 29 gallon tank could stand so much light and heat.

I will just keep looking for a smaller compact 70 to 175 watt MH light.

Thank you all for the help.

Back