MH wiring help

legalreefer

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used Hamilton 250w dual ballast. The person before me has cut the wiring and I do not know how to wire it to the sockets. This is my first experience with MHs, and I am no electrican.

Here is what it looks like
4655ba1880def4cbe9b23a21fe6c6791.jpg.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>
There are 2 yellow, one green, one red, one black, and one white wire.

What about the white? The black has a cap on it that isnt like a cap that you connect 2 wire with. BTW, thanks for the quick response.

Yep its a 2MH250W ballast. Where would I be able to find a contact number for either of them?

Im thinking it goes, red yellow one bulb, white yellow to the other, and green a ground. The black looks like it came from factory with the cap over it.

Would that make sense that Hamilton would cap a wire like that. Whats the worst that will happen if I try it one red yellow and one white yellow? Also, where would be a good place to ground it?

Thanks again, man! I am not sure if I have the courage to try it or not. more than likely I wont, but....

Well I tried it and no go. No heat/smoke. I wondering if the lights work. How long does it take to fire up?

Only a few seconds as long as the lamp is in good working order and your wired them correctly!!! Do the hamilton's run magnetic ballast? Have you tried opening up the box and seeing if there was a wiring diagram?

I did open the box. And I noticed the on/off switch is not connected. So someone apparently had been inside monkeying around. I have no clue as to what a magnetic ballast is.

Did you get it figured out!? Sorry I just saw this thread.

I completely forgot to mention the switch didn't work, as I had it connected to a controller and never touched it.

Also, the black wire was capped when I used it.

And only 3 wires coming out of the ballast were actually used. Green went to ground. Red and Yellow I think were T'd and powered both lights.

Thats going off memory. Let me know if you have any problems. :)

Tyler

Yeah I got it figured out. I can just use a regular timer for the lights, right?

Hellfire;361225 wrote: Did you get it figured out!? Sorry I just saw this thread.

I completely forgot to mention the switch didn't work, as I had it connected to a controller and never touched it.

Also, the black wire was capped when I used it.

And only 3 wires coming out of the ballast were actually used. Green went to ground. Red and Yellow I think were T'd and powered both lights.

Thats going off memory. Let me know if you have any problems. :)

Tyler

It one of those dual Coralife timers. Maybe it will work. If not I guess I have to make another purchase.

James S.;361308 wrote: Yup. As long as it has a high enough rating to handle the load.

Back