micro brittles. too many?

mystery_me

Market
Reaction score
So I transferred to my new tank yesterday to the 93 cube. And I went to check everything after coral placement last night and realize that I have close to 500 or more micro Brittles all over everything. We're also releasing a white plus last night like they were spawning or something. Does anyone think that there's a such thing as too much clean up crew or too many of these brittle starfish? Does anyone think they are going to harm my livestock

Night pic. They are everywhere
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1071895=66308-Screenshot_2016-02-10-08-27-23.png
>
1071895=66308-Screenshot_2016-02-10-08-27-23.png
class="gc-images" title="Screenshot_2016-02-10-08-27-23.png[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

They dont cause any harm, but yeah if you have that many sell some.

I had thousands prior to my heater blowing crash.
Honestly as Jen stated, I believe it's from over feeding. I did "over feed" intentionally but controled it by extreme filtration. This feeding was for the hundreds of baby Sun Corals I've got. Now they are pretty good size and hopefully capable to survive without continued direct feeding.

These were under a rock, right? They typically live in the crevices of rock, their legs are only seen (come out) at feeding time to grab the food. They don't just lay around on top of rocks as in your picture at least not that I've ever seen!
My thousands were never a problem whatsoever, until the crash! ,
For some reason they were the number one critter that took it the hardest, no other CUC or fish (that I'm aware of) died.
During the die off, it was a major problem and contaminated my tank excessively. I did small, constant daily water changes and was removing large balled up clumps with a turkey baster from the sand bed and wedged in bottom of rocks. There were dozens of quarter sized balls of dead brittles for days.

It's impossible to know if they were a major benefit to my system however, since gone I have had much much higher nitrates. Problem is, I've also added many new fish and reduced the small partial feeding which should have made a major improvement but hasn't.

So Bud, don't know if this has helped you but IMHO they are a positive!

Also when I was headed to a LFS, I'd take a rock out, sit it on the counter in a large bowl of water, wait a few minutes and they would be dropping like flies out of the rock.
Then I'd take a turkey baster and help others visible by shooting water in the holes and force them out.
I've taken IDK hundreds to Premier and given them away to anyone interested...

Camellia;1078456 wrote: Also when I was headed to a LFS, I'd take a rock out, sit it on the counter in a large bowl of water, wait a few minutes and they would be dropping like flies out of the rock.
Then I'd take a turkey baster and help others visible by shooting water in the holes and force them out.
I've taken IDK hundreds to Premier and given them away to anyone interested...

Premier Aquatics ???

Back