Micro bubble elimintaor idea 4 my tank

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I need input on an idea to eliminate microbubbles from my tank. My skimmer/drain section produces so many, and due to limitations, all my baffles simply cant increase the dwell time enough at a slow enough flow to get them all out.

I have found that a filter sock over the drain pipe eliminates them almost entirely. BUT, I dont want to have to clean this thing every couple days since it is difficult to reach. My idea is to build a 6l x 6w x 14h" box that holds live rock. It has holes on the bottom that the water flows out of into the drain section. It is full of rubble, beginning with relatively course (1-2" pieces) and at the very bottom is much finer pieces (.5-1"). Would this give me the bubble dissapating effect without any ill effects, or will the current just carry them on through??

Is there a better way?

I have had some success with using filter floss in between two of the baffles. I just change it weekly. Its hard to say if your design will work.

Well say! I need confirmation, not vague conjecturing!!!

Na, but seriously, what kind of filter floss? Like the pad or the actual flossy type stuff that comes in Easter baskets?

The bubble trap (or bubble tower) with LR rubble is not a new idea. Marc Levenson installs bubble traps in his sumps and talked about them in a meeting earlier this year. You can see pictures of some if you browse the DIY/sump sections of his http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html">website</a>.

We installed a bubble trap in the corner of my sump where the water enters from the display and it works quite well.

Picture below is from Marc's website.

[IMG]http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/model_f_bubble_tower.jpg alt="" />

Yeah, I had seen them before in some sumps, but wasnt sure if they were effective. Is yours full of LR as well or something else?

derek I have built a bubble trap/tower on my sump and it works great. No filter sock can do what this does for bubble dissapation.

I actually have a bubble trap in my sump but like you the flow is too high I guess for it to be effective. I use the mat in the last baffle of the trap and it seams to work OK but not 100%.

I have tried the mat but I have trouble getting it to stay once it gets some dirt in it... :(

I had that problem but then I started just folding it over and stuffing it in there

Hey John , when you gonna post some pics of your zoos? I need to buy frags of the bad ayss ones.. :)

I wanna see what the new zoo man on the block has cooking.

corvettecris;205821 wrote: Hey John , when you gonna post some pics of your zoos? I need to buy frags of the bad ayss ones.. :)

I wanna see what the new zoo man on the block has cooking.
Really they're nothing special. You actually have a pretty nice collection yourself. I have alot of frags right now just waiting on them to grow out

Meee too. I wish I could light a fire under them to speed things up. I wanna start fragging and trading some of them.

Derek, if you need to check one out on a large scale, we have one on the display tank at Marine Fish.

dereck..My computer has crashed so pics are hard to post as of late...Mine tower does goe from top to bottom and is slitted about 1/4 the way up. Its filled about 3/4 the way up with very small rubble. when I first ran the system, I thought it was going to be too much flow..but ...the rock has a break in period and the overflowing foam with slow to eventually nothing.

Back