Micro Bubbles and the Reef

msg4869

Supporting
Reaction score
I have heard many thing about micro bubbles would like a little input on what everyone else thinks. OK I added an air stone next to one of my return pumps, Why you may ask well I have been battling Dinoflagellates for quite awahile I raised my NO3 and raised my PO4 and added an air stone. Thing are looking good now. Here is my sort of problem, My wife is going through Chemo right now, well she like the bubbles. :rolleyes:. I have hears many things on this Just want some more opinions

Thanks

First of all, I hope your wife is doing okay. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

As for micro bubble scrubbing, most people do it at night for the benefits that it has on PH. Some opponents argue that the micro bubbles could get trapped in the gills of fish; I'm not sure on that, but if it is true, night time is also better as many fish tuck into the rock at night.

If it helps your wife to do so for a little while during the day, then go for it though; you can always stop if you see any adverse effects, but I think it will be just fine.

As an alternative, maybe consider setting up a small freshwater tank. As long as its not a high tech planted aquarium, you can do lots of fun stuff with bubbles... full air stone across the back and maybe a bubble decoration that opens and closes too. I have a low tech planted aquarium and my wife likes it much more than my reef tanks. In fact, she had to quit her job a couple of years ago due to health issues and she said while laying on the couch, looking at the freshwater tank helped her recover. It's a good community here, so if you decided to go that route and need some help, let us know. I think I may have a spare air pump and I bet others have some things going unused in a basement or closet; maybe someone even has a tank. I'm sure the medical expenses must be high.

First of all, I hope your wife is doing okay. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

As for micro bubble scrubbing, most people do it at night for the benefits that it has on PH. Some opponents argue that the micro bubbles could get trapped in the gills of fish; I'm not sure on that, but if it is true, night time is also better as many fish tuck into the rock at night.

If it helps your wife to do so for a little while during the day, then go for it though; you can always stop if you see any adverse effects, but I think it will be just fine.

As an alternative, maybe consider setting up a small freshwater tank. As long as its not a high tech planted aquarium, you can do lots of fun stuff with bubbles... full air stone across the back and maybe a bubble decoration that opens and closes too. I have a low tech planted aquarium and my wife likes it much more than my reef tanks. In fact, she had to quit her job a couple of years ago due to health issues and she said while laying on the couch, looking at the freshwater tank helped her recover. It's a good community here, so if you decided to go that route and need some help, let us know. I think I may have a spare air pump and I bet others have some things going unused in a basement or closet; maybe someone even has a tank. I'm sure the medical expenses must be high.
Thank you so much, Yeah that's a thought I am not really worried babout the fish, we used to run micro bubbles in the tanks 40 years ago non stop, I got told it would affect their slime coat to but I not sure I believe that but not 100%. I may set it up on the Apex thinking about this maybe I could set it up on a motion sensor to turn it on and off. I am really mostly concerned about the coral but no ill effects ts so far so not sure

I put the 2 air stones in the return section (sump) near the return pump. Can’t tell the different but it is sure help ph at night time

I put the 2 air stones in the return section (sump) near the return pump. Can’t tell the different but it is sure help ph at night time
Are you running it 247? and what type of coral do you have?

Back