Micro clipping experiment

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
So just a but bored, thought I play around with some nice coral and hopefully induce more/better growth. I got a 16x16x8 tank I wanna have a reason to use as well lol.

There’s been a theory for years that micro clipping promote coral growth. I wanna try it. Plan is to have a few is each coral. All coral weight with plug will be taken. I will be clipping two and leaving 2 alone for 90 days. At end of 90 days I will weigh them again to sell if growth is better. I am making the standard deviation and margin of error at 10%.
Corals to be tested will be a mix of known faster growing and slower growing. Salt will be Red Sea Pro ( it’s what I have currently), at 1.026. No dosing. Just water changes. Light will be a Radion x15 gen 4 running AB + 6 hours photo a day.

corals testing
Walt Disney
Homewrecker
Red Planet
Wild milli
Wild tenius

hopefully nothing dies lol. Will update , at least try to update on the first. Fragging and weighing frags today.

Interesting! Definitely looking forward to updates. How often are you thinking of clipping?
Initial clipping will be 2 weeks after tank is set up. Additional clipping will be done once area heals. I’m hoping the area that was clipped will have a budding growth vs a straight up twig shape. To be frank im just trying to figure out a way to promote growth pattern I find me aesthetically pleasing to me

Back