Micro zoas?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
As I was inspecting my tank with a magifying glass I found this speck of sand. These can't really be zoas can they? I watched as a hermit crab walked over them and they closed up like a zoa so I got them out with a pair of tweezers and glued them to a plug. Any ideas?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
83149=5283-unk_DSC02162_070926.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
83149=5283-unk_DSC02162_070926.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="unk_DSC02162_070926.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

they dont look like zoes to me they kind of look like mojanos a pest anemone if you dont know what they are throw them away thats what i would do

do you have any ricordia in your tank? It somewhat looks like ricordia clones to me. I have clones all over my tank that resembel that but its hard to tell from the picture.

Stroid;83171 wrote: do you have any ricordia in your tank? It somewhat looks like ricordia clones to me. I have clones all over my tank that resembel that but its hard to tell from the picture.

Yes, I do have ricordia and would love it if that is what they are. They closed up instantly when the crab walked over them and took a while to reopen. I pulled out several pieces of sand before I was able to get the right one.

Hmmmm..... I have no SPS in my tank and only pc lighting so I wouldn't think it is sps although since I have no idea what it is I personally can't rule out anything. All those polyps were growing on a single grain of sand so they are really tiny.

calireefer;83178 wrote: Looks like a small frag of sps to me not sure what kind though.

I'm not sure it will help but here is a little better picture and another with it closed up.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
83244=5287-DSC02164.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
83244=5287-DSC02164.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC02164.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
83244=5288-DSC02166.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
83244=5288-DSC02166.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC02166.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Doesnt really help but it sure does look like my ricordia clones except my ricordia clones are more colorful. Can you isolate them and let them grow a bit longer?

Stroid;83247 wrote: Doesnt really help but it sure does look like my ricordia clones except my ricordia clones are more colorful. Can you isolate them and let them grow a bit longer?

They're in my frag tank glued to a plug so I'll let them grow as big as they want. I don't think I could seperate them even with my scalpel. I can't even see them without a magnifying glass.

yeah see what they look like in a few days/week and repost. IMO it doesnt look like a majono anemone and it is definitly not aiptasia.

It's too small right now to identify, well at least for me it is. In the closed up pic they appear to be retreating like a stony coral versus just closing up like a zoa.

If it is stony then let it be, otherwise I would just kill it. The odds are that its not something pleasant :).

<span style="font-family: Arial;">I have a similar one. Broke off of my galaxia.</span>

I've got an acropora and a montipora with very similar polyps. It probably came in with your live rock. Post some more pictures when it grows a bit I'm interested to see what it turns out to be.

They do look like a small frag of growing galaxia. Should be interesting to see what they do turn out to be. Might turn out to be a rare form of Digimontiacromilli coral!!!

No real changes yet! I'll try to get new pictures later to compare with the ones from last week.

Back