Milk water, fish dead, coral ok

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
Woke up to a milky tank. The fish and shrimp are done. Coral looks fine. Parameters are fine with no traces of ammonia.
Any idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0562.png
    IMG_0562.png
    389.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0561.png
    IMG_0561.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0559.jpeg
    IMG_0559.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 42
Dang, sorry to hear that. Perhaps something died, bacteria bloomed, and oxygen was depleted? Does this tank have a skimmer?
Tank does not, it has an a surface wave maker. There’s not much bio load. A shrimp and 3 small fish

I did clean my power heads in citric acid . Would that cause any issues? I throughly rinse them afterwards tho like always

Never had a problem with citric acid even after soaking an entire skimmer in it in a 5g bucket.

The low pH + drop in ORP + the fact that fish and shrimp died first still has me leaning towards a gas exchange issue. Seems like O2 is low and CO2 is high. Corals can tolerate this for a while but fish cannot. Would be easy to test the theory by aerating heavily for a while. Could just position a wavemaker such that it churns some air at the surface. See if the pH returns to a more normal range.

I did clean my power heads in citric acid . Would that cause any issues? I throughly rinse them afterwards tho like always
I clean my pumps in citric acid and just a simple rinse after. I don't think that's the issue.

At first I thought it could be something like overdose of alk or kalk that caused the cloudiness, but your alk showing at 10.78 is normal for reef crystals. Also, your PH at 7.17 and even lower leads me to believe you have low o2 in your tank that could be the contributing factor that killed off your fish and shrimp. It looks like your PH was down to 6.41 overnight, which is very odd.

I agree with what @chaples55 suggested with a bacteria bloom after the die off?

I clean my pumps in citric acid and just a simple rinse after. I don't think that's the issue.

At first I thought it could be something like overdose of alk or kalk that caused the cloudiness, but your alk showing at 10.78 is normal for reef crystals. Also, your PH at 7.17 and even lower leads me to believe you have low o2 in your tank that could be the contributing factor that killed off your fish and shrimp. It looks like your PH was down to 6.41 overnight, which is very odd.

I agree with what @chaples55 suggested with a bacteria bloom after the die off?
Assuming it is an o2 issue. Any suggestion? Just odd that it happened all of a sudden

It could definitely tank the pH since it's a fairly strong acid, but if you rinsed everything well you should be ok.

I also suspect low DO due to either a bacterial bloom or spawn. Do you carbon dose? Overdosing can lead to bacterial blooms. Parameter shifts from water change can cause things like snails or sea urchins to spawn. I would heavily aerate and perform water changes.

Probably snails spawned at night. My snails did the same a few days ago and caused a ph drop.

I also suspect low DO due to either a bacterial bloom or spawn. Do you carbon dose? Overdosing can lead to bacterial blooms. Parameter shifts from water change can cause things like snails or sea urchins to spawn. I would heavily aerate and perform water changes.
The only thing I dose is aminos

Never had a problem with citric acid even after soaking an entire skimmer in it in a 5g bucket.

The low pH + drop in ORP + the fact that fish and shrimp died first still has me leaning towards a gas exchange issue. Seems like O2 is low and CO2 is high. Corals can tolerate this for a while but fish cannot. Would be easy to test the theory by aerating heavily for a while. Could just position a wavemaker such that it churns some air at the surface. See if the pH returns to a more normal range.
Agree.

Huh? Spawning and subsequent drop in DO can absolutely cloud a tank and kill all higher BOD organisms like fish.
I mean I’ve had spawning previously, milky water and such I experience. Never did it killed fish before tho

I mean I’ve had spawning previously, milky water and such I experience. Never did it killed fish before tho
True. It will feed the corals most of the time. Big sea urchin or clam spawns (probably more likely than snails) can kill fish through decreased DO (resulting bacterial bloom from decomposition) or elevated NH3. It is the equivalent of having a kid dump a container of food in your aquarium. Weeks or months worth of energy is stored in the gametes, all released into your aquarium at once. Low pH from high CO2 (assuming reading was accurate) and decreased O2 from bacterial bloom were likely at play regardless of bacterial bloom cause.

Back