mimic tang question

kappaknight

Market
Reaction score
Do mimic tangs change what they mimic once they picked something to mimic? Just curious...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought the mimic tang also known is called a mimic because it looks like a certain angelfish in its juvenile stage. When it reaches maturity it changes color dramitcally and is known more commonly as a chocolate tang, that's the only one I'm familiar with. I think there are other mimic tangs as well that look like some other fish at juvenile stage and then morph to something dramitically different looking at adulthood. It would be cool if they could change colors to whatever they wanted to mimic, but I think its just predetermined genetic coding.

FutureInterest;48533 wrote: Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought the mimic tang also known is called a mimic because it looks like a certain angelfish in its juvenile stage. When it reaches maturity it changes color dramitcally and is known more commonly as a chocolate tang, that's the only one I'm familiar with. I think there are other mimic tangs as well that look like some other fish at juvenile stage and then morph to something dramitically different looking at adulthood. It would be cool if they could change colors to whatever they wanted to mimic, but I think its just predetermined genetic coding.

correct

kappaknight;48501 wrote: Do mimic tangs change what they mimic once they picked something to mimic? Just curious...

I always thought that what FI posted was correct, but then my mimic started wearing glasses... :eek:

all right, fine, FI is correct, as far as i know, and I just drank too much coffee this morning...

Back