Minimal tank needs

roundman

Market
Reaction score
My grandaughter (7) is very interested in my SW tank. I have a 16g bowfront and was thinking of setting it up for her. It would be FOWLR so I was wondering what is the least I can get away with. She will be responsible for the maintenace, with help, but nothing fancy. I am thinking of light, heater, and canister filter. The skimmer is the main question required or should have.

Thanks

Sand rock heater best power head would be a koralia nano less heat only three watts and filer for media or little fuge and abucket of salt to last all year

Keep the bioload low and make the inhabitants bulletproof. I had a neglected nano for many years that I did nothing with that had a blue dansel, a coral banded shrimp, and a small starfish (and a few mushrooms). Plenty of movement and color, and they can handle the extremes of temp and salinity.

you don't need a skimmer on it, it would just complicate things.

Like Steve said, get bulletproof inhabitants and you should be good.

Run some Purigen in a canister. That stuff works wonders on a setup like this and it is easy to deal with. I agree with the above posts as well.

Cameron;112074 wrote: Run some Purigen in a canister.

That is an interesting idea - I never thought of that. Just run it in the filter output? You wouldn't need much at all.

I run some in my canister just before my UV along with carbon, GFO and some foam seems to be getting the job done. The nano guys have nothing but good things to say about it.

I use one bag of purigen in each of my nanos. you can place it right inside the hang on box if thats what you have. I have aquapods so I just drop them in the back and they are like having a protien skimmer.

Something else to consider would be increasing the size of any accompanying sump/refugium. The increased water volume will help the smaller tank shrug off minor or temporary changes in chemistry. It has always helped a lot for smaller tanks in my experience. One bad crash can sour someone that would otherwise have enjoyed the hobby for years.

Just my 2 cents.

Back