minimum light requirement (time)

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I am going to put my lights on a timer today, and I am curious how much light is really needed for coral health and moderate growth.

My setup is a 55g softie tank with 4x65w (260w) PCs
I am trying to cut my summertime energy costs down, so coral growth can take a break until September, so really what will keep them looking good and alive?

Some ideas I was planning on doing:
5 days at 7 hours and 2 days at 4 hours
7 days at 5 hours
6 days at 7 hours and 1 day off.

Thanks for any positive suggestions.

I know some people only run 6 hrs. I'm personally at 8 of MH and 10 of vho.

I used to run 6 hrs of mh for years.

For softies, I've ran a tank with only ambient sunlight and had growth. I would think that you'd be better off keeping the schedule consistant, rather than varying, and just shorten the photoperiod.

Skriz;196759 wrote: I used to run 6 hrs of mh for years.

For softies, I've ran a tank with only ambient sunlight and had growth. I would think that you'd be better off keeping the schedule consistant, rather than varying, and just shorten the photoperiod.

was that an outside tank? or just near a window?

and thanks again for the suggestion.

stickx911;196768 wrote: was that an outside tank? or just near a window?

and thanks again for the suggestion.

This tank was inside, somewhat near a window; not in direct sunlight, and did fine.

so should I have the atinics running an hour before and an hour after the daylights or can I plug the whole strip into one timer?

I like the dusk to dawn effect; less of a shock for the fish and more natural feeling. But, it's not a necessity.

If you can use 2 timers, the I would.

Actinics for 6 hours and Daylights(10k's) for four hours. Should work fine.

Back