Mixing 130G Salt Question?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I have about 130 gallons of RO circulating in my tank and am ready to mix in the salt. How much can you put in at a time? Is there any problem just dumping it all in at once? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I would dump it in 2-3 cups at a time give it time to mix and then add more. I have done it many ways but slower seems better, gives it more time to mix and spread throughout the tank and won't build up in the corners, etc.

bah throw it in! lol, you can always count on me to give the opposite advice :) Seriously tho, like Mark said, prolly the slower the better. But if you have some good pumps in there, it should mix up pretty quick.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that slowly sprinkling the dry salt mix into the fresh water was the best way to go.

Ok guys, thanks! Right now I only have a QuietOne 3000 in the sump as a temporary return pump. I'll add a couple of power heads in the 120G and start adding it slowly. Of course we're talking about 65 cups of salt here. Its almost a whole 5G bucket.

sounds like fun--I'd do it slowly too, it will dissolve better unless you have a lot of pumps-(which you don't right now)

You can do a little more that a few cups at a time, but slower is better than dumping the whole lot in.

I usually put half of what I will need in at once.

Back