Mixing salt inside tank

YoungReefer10g

Market
Reaction score
So I’m planning on filling the whole tank with the RO/DI water and then adding in the salt to the tank would there be any problems with doing this?

I had seen a thread the other day about taking the ro out of the ro/di to get less wastewater. If I did this would this negatively affect the tank at all?

I had seen a thread the other day about taking the ro out of the ro/di to get less wastewater. If I did this would this negatively affect the tank at all?
I'm confused, are you asking if you should remove the RO membrane? Yes, you would get less waste water because you're not rejecting all the junk that comes in your water line. I think this is a bad idea. At that point, might as well just use some tap water and some prime.

With the mixing of the salt in the tank. Make sure you have a lot of flow when you add the salt. It will help keep precipitate from forming on the bottom. If the salt collects in a low flow zone on the bottom it will start precipitating there. If there's sand on the bottom it will be very hard to tell it's happening.

Personally, when I filled my 120, I made water in 30g batches and added it as it was mixed and ready. Took a day or so but I had live sand so I added the mixed saltwater, a powerhead and a heater to the tank as the other was filling/mixing. Nothing wrong with mixing in the tank as long as you aren't adding live rock or sand before the water is properly mixed but adding sand/rock to a tank of water is more difficult IMO.

If you're running directly through DI beds you're basically running a kati-ani system. It's more expensive compared to RODI because DI resin costs more than the wastewater does and unless you're DIY recharging your resins the costs will begin to add up over time. Assuming proper setups for both systems they should both result in 0 TDS water so your final product will be the same. I would probably run an anion bed, cation bed, then a final mixed bed if I were to use a kati-ani system just to make sure I gave the system the best chance to remove everything while still allowing me to easily recharge resins, but water is cheap so I still run RO.

Back