Mixing salt water

roundman

Market
Reaction score
What is a good starting point for water to salt ratio. So far everytime I have bought salt water I get a spike to 1.030 and then have to start adding ro/di to bring it down. So I was thinking of buying the water and making up my own. Any recommendations?

Well, I use Tropic Marin and use ... 1/2 cup per gallon... I think I see a theme.

Usually I add just a little less and allow it to mix, while aerating, until it is all dissolved. Then test the salinity with a refractometer. I then add a little at a time until I get the salinity that I want (1.025 for the reef tank, a little less for the FO tanks).

If you are using a hydrometer, stop and buy a refractometer. If you have to use a hydrometer, make sure that your temperature is correct before measuring your salinity, since that instrument is VERY temperature dependent.

I aerate during salt mixing because 1) it is better for the fish to add oxygenated water to the tank and 2) the salt dissolves faster because you are allowing the water to get into equilibrium with CO2 from the air (it acts like a mild acid in water allowing the salt to dissolve quicker).

Find out what your water source is using for checking salinity. Sounds like they may be using a standard float-type hydrometer most of which, in my experience, show lower than the actual salinity leading to high salt levels.

If you have an RO/DI filter, it is cheaper in the long run to make your own water. Plus, in the event of week-end/odd-hour emergencies, you're not stuck with no water.

I am using RO/DI water and I have a refractometer. I would agree that I usually mix 30 gallons at a time and I put in one less 1/2 cup than is needed. 30 gallons = 15 1/2 measured cups. So I use 14 until it mixes and I can be sure I did not over do it

always test with a refracto!!! thats all I can advise. As far as salt, I dont really measure, i just throw in a certain amount that I'm use to and add more to get to my desired amount of 1.026

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Not to hijack the thread, but since we are on the subject, I use IO salt and can never mix it completely. I always end up with salt grains on the button of my container. Anybody else have the same issue?</span>

haninja;70800 wrote: <span style="font-family: Tahoma;">Not to hijack the thread, but since we are on the subject, I use IO salt and can never mix it completely. I always end up with salt grains on the button of my container. Anybody else have the same issue?</span>

Yes. This problem basically made me switch to Oceanic.

I put just over a 1/2 cup for gal because 1/2C = SG of 1.021 and I like it to be higher, more like 1.025

Also as a note, to mix up Hypo water for QTs I use 1 cup of salt per 5 gallon bucket.

Back