Mixing Station info

Clay

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to the hobby and have just started filtering my own water. I've done a bit of research but I'm curious how others in the community are constructing their salt mixing stations. Any input or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

It really depends on how much you need to mix up at one time. Doing 5-10 gallons can be done in buckets. If you're making 20+ at a time then things get a little different. It also depends on how much space you have and whether or not you put something in a semi permanent location. I've had the space and like to let gravity do a lot of the work for me. But I've been mixing 55 gallon batches.

So, how much do you need to make at a time?
Do you have space to put it or do you need something mobile?

It really depends on how much you need to mix up at one time. Doing 5-10 gallons can be done in buckets. If you're making 20+ at a time then things get a little different. It also depends on how much space you have and whether or not you put something in a semi permanent location. I've had the space and like to let gravity do a lot of the work for me. But I've been mixing 55 gallon batches.

So, how much do you need to make at a time?
Do you have space to put it or do you need something mobile?
Space is not an issue. I'm doing this in my basement and there is enough room. I'm currently draining my RO water into a food grade 55 gallon container but I've yet to mix anything.

I'm still fairly new to the hobby and have just started filtering my own water. I've done a bit of research but I'm curious how others in the community are constructing their salt mixing stations. Any input or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.
I keep about 100 gallons of RODI fresh water and mix as I need. Many salts these days mix pretty quick and honestly I got tired of keeping temps from getting too high or too low.

Mixed SW - IMO - needs to be circulated - 60 gallons of mixed salt water, in the garage, with a pump running was getting up to 92 degrees over the summer.

I transfer fresh water to a 32 gallon brute, dump in salt, a small powerhead & heater when I'm ready for saltwater. All transferring is done with pumps or gravity.

I was storing RO water in a 55 gallon drum elevated over a 55 gallon Brute can to do the mixing. The containers were put on a wood stand that I made. The brute had bulkheads added to run some PVC pipe and a pump for circulation. I had my Apex controlling the RODI as well. I'll post up a pic in a sec. If this is the type direction you want to go I can post up a component list and so simple instructions.
20180203_215356.jpg
1527517675490.jpg

Last edited:
I was storing RO water in a 55 gallon drum elevated over a 55 gallon Brute can to do the mixing. The containers were put on a wood stand that I made. The brute had bulkheads added to run some PVC pipe and a pump for circulation. I had my Apex controlling the RODI as well. I'll post up a pic in a sec. If this is the type direction you want to go I can post up a component list and so simple instructions.
View attachment 15280
The picture will suffice. I hadn't yet considered elevating my fresh water. I have most of this stuff on hand, just need to build a platform and grab bulkheads. It's times like these that being a horder pays off. Nice setup, by the way. Thank you very much for the reply. Very helpful.

Elevating takes up less space and allows you to have gravity do some of the work for you.

After mixing a batch and using it I drained the drum to the Brute so it's ready for next time. Then started up the rodi to refill the drum.

Another thing I do now is I have all electric devices in the room with my water storage (couple pumps for transferring water around, RO booster pump) connected to an alexa capable smart power strip. When I need to make water - I just shout "hey Alexa, make water" - or "hey Alexa, pump 1 on".

Back