Mixing station maintenance?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
Do you guys rinse your saltwater mixing barrels/buckets, pumps, and heaters ever? How frequent?

At lease once a year I have to clean pump heater and barrel with vinegar from calcium build up

Yes i clean with bleach then i add seachem prime finally i wash it out and let air dry

I clean mine any time it starts getting slimy.(about once every couple of months) This probably happens cause I keep ro water in there all the time, then just add salt the day before I want to do a water change.

I just wash mine with a little Dawn. Rinse thoroughly. Then let dry. I use vinegar if I have a lot of calcium buildup.

every few months I'll give it a little inspection to see what the conditions look like and if it looks like it needs a cleaning it gets one, but it gets a vinegar clean out at least twice a year anyway.

Oh crud..... you have to clean those to?

Just kidding, I empty mine out and air dry between uses so it doesn't get slimey. Then vinegar or citric acid ( doesn't smell so bad) for the stone build up.

Side note for the home brewers out there B Brite ( peroxide based cleaner) works great for that!

We used to pressure-wash the vat a couple of times a year.

Slimy is bacterial film. Crusty is calcium build up. If you are worried about chemicals, I believe Seachem Acid Buffer can be used to break down the calcium build up. It's a freshwater product - but it's safe if you have concerns about chemical residue.

Jenn

I rinse and dry my pumps and buckets after each use (weekly). I give a vinegar bath every other month.

Yup.

I'll dump a gallon of vinegar in then add 30 gallons of tap water.
Let it circulate for a day or two (maybe a week). Rinse it out with the hose then rinse again with several gallons of RO/DI.

Fill'er up and start mixing again.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=2737" alt="" />

I do this in the spring and/or fall just so I can enjoy the beautiful days (like today). :)

Back