Mixing up Salt-2-O for a water change

tebriel

Market
Reaction score
Okay, so what I had been doing was mixing up my water in 5 gal buckets 24 hrs before a water change. I found a killer 20 gallon bucket at Lowe's which fits perfectly right next to my RO/DI trash can so now I can mix the entire 15gal at once. I read, in passing, that Bob F. recommends that you let your saltwater age for 1 week and even seed it with a cup from your current tank. I just lent out my copy of <u>The Conscientious Marine Aquarist </u> to my soon to be brother in law and I don't remember reading about making change water. Can anyone fill in the gaps for what else I need to do? Here's my process so far:
Washed out the bucket with a little vinnegar and ro water,
added the RO/DI and salt
placed in a maxijet 1200 to mix it up
Check the salinity tomorrow to see if it matches the tank, add salt/ro as needed
wait a week
change water

what else? is adding saltwater from my DT a good idea?

Thank you!!

I've never added tank water--just get the salinity and temp to match and let it circulate for 24 hours.

It's actually warmer than the DT water, by like 2 degrees, the room with the tank has A/C the kitchen does not :p. I don't have to buy a chiller for the top off/change water do i??

I took an old 5 gallon bucket with a lid, ran a input and output hose, connected a pump and I use that for mixing water..

Back