Mixing Water and set-up Questions!

camg

Market
Reaction score
Dad and I filled up my new 75 gal. today with some regular water to check for leaks and to see if this weighty thing was going to be level. Well both of these variables are good. Then came the question of whether we could leave a good bit of the water in the tank, and mix salt in other containers and add to until the salt levels are where they are supposed to be. What are the ups and downs to doing this. I do not have the money to buy a RO/Di unit yet... this is a hope for the future. My 20 long was set up with water from the tap and has been perfectly fine. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance to everyone!

And.... I will be adding in live rock and sand too for cycling.

Thank you all again (very much),

Camden Goddard

When I first filled up my tank with tap I just add the salt to the tank and let the pumps stir it up. Then it is like every other tank you just have to wait a few days and let it do its thing. Then the cycle can start.

Good luck.

I'd HIGHLY recommend using RODI; I'm sure someone on here might donate some--I'd give it to you, but you'd burn more in gas coming to get it than you'd save--most LFS sell it for like .50 a gallon-which is kinda high, but can be worth it in algae growth problems :)

I orignally filled my 75g up with about 40g of RODI and then topped the rest off with tap/prime. The tank has been going about 6 weeks and is now starting to get brown algae in it. As long as you don't keep putting tap in as top-off eventually the algae will die off due to no silica to eat. (Or so I have been told.) This is all new to me still so I am unsure as to whether or not this is true. Time will tell.

I started mine that way, I have well water so I didn't have any added chemicals that water companies add. I think you will be okay, but you need to get a RO/Di setup or find a source for some.

Or publix sells water for about .30 cents a gallon. I used that for awhile before I had a "permanent" spot for my rodi

nova65chic;181557 wrote: Or publix sells water for about .30 cents a gallon. I used that for awhile before I had a "permanent" spot for my rodi

I'd like to put a TDS meter on that publix water stuff--I've heard it was actually worse than tap! Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but that's what I've heard-

Personally i wouldnt rush it, save some money up till you can atleast get the inital fill with RO/DI water, nothing in this hobby should be done half way upfront and hoping for the best later.

Your tap water maybe be cleaner then his, he may have no problem but then again he may, for the low cost of RODI water i would say not to risk it. Some people put hippo tangs in Nanos and have no problems but thats not suggested. Im by no means a veteran but ive heard many people talk about the horrors of brown algae coming from Tapwater, and you never know how pure your tap is and what it contains. If your planning on switching to RO/DI water later anyways do the smarter thing from the start. just my 2cents

Hmm i wonder why they invented RO/DI water filters then lol I just feel safer putting it in my tanks but to each his own, good luck with your tank let us know how it turns out.

Thank you, and i didnt say you couldnt do it that way i said it wouldnt be the smart way to do it. Also almost every single house has copped in the plumbing somehwere since a shower valve is connected to copper pipe bc its made from metal, also inside a water heater im pretty sure there is copper, reguardless trace metals will be there bc your using recycled water from houses that use tons of copper pipe.

shortcuts in this hobby results in future pain. start smart and use ro/di water.

if you do use tap water, i don't want to see compaints about crazy outbreaks of uncontrolled algae growth. :yuk:

etoh

Back