Mixing Wrasses- Red Head Fairy Wrasse and Red Caris Wrasse

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
I have a Red / Orange Fairy Wrasse and my wife spotted a Red Caris Wrasse at the LFS that she really wants.

Does anyone have any insight on compatibility? If it matters, I also have a Green Knife Wrasse and he has gotten along fine with the Fairy Wrasse. Sadly he is leaving because he has developed a taste for snails, all of them.

rk4435;971193 wrote: I have a Red / Orange Fairy Wrasse and my wife spotted a Red Caris Wrasse at the LFS that she really wants.

Does anyone have any insight on compatibility? If it matters, I also have a Green Knife Wrasse and he has gotten along fine with the Fairy Wrasse. Sadly he is leaving because he has developed a taste for snails, all of them.

Rule of thumb never mix wrassies. but people have mixed fish that dont get along all day long. I personally wouldn't...

You can mix most reef safe wrasses without much problem. Pass on the red coris, they get huge and don't look anything like they do from juvenile to adult.

HiImSean;971212 wrote: You can mix most reef safe wrasses without much problem. Pass on the red coris, they get huge and don't look anything like they do from juvenile to adult.
what he said plus later down the road you will more then likely have the same problem with him eating snails

as sean said, mixing wrasses isn't usually an issue unless they are from the same family (i.e. six line wont play nice with an eight line). I personally like they way adult red corris wrasses look, but they can grow to over a foot in length.

Fairy wrasses usually mix well. I have a lineatus, labouti, and longfin together. No issues. I have always mixed fairies (my favorite fish). Have only had one aggressive one, a redfin.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll play it safe, the Green Knife still has to go though.

A 6 line is a bully, even to wrasses of other species, IME, and is about the only reef safe one that does not play nice with others. They kind of stalk and chase other wrasses to death. At least, that was the behavior I observed in my own tank. They have such small mouths, they really can't bite.

How are six lines with non-wrasses? Have to keep a timid Bartlett in my frag tank until my nuvo is setup, but want a six line in there for the dirty work

tonymission;971969 wrote: How are six lines with non-wrasses? Have to keep a timid Bartlett in my frag tank until my nuvo is setup, but want a six line in there for the dirty work
I have not seen any issues between 6 lines and fish of other species. The 6 line is not a bad fish, IMO, but just good to know about their behavior in case you do want to put other wrasses in the tank.

I learned this myself in my 100 gallon reef, because I didn't know about it and had to catch my 6 line to remove him after I found he was harassing a Flame Wrasse I had added.

tonymission;971969 wrote: How are six lines with non-wrasses? Have to keep a timid Bartlett in my frag tank until my nuvo is setup, but want a six line in there for the dirty work

List of fish my 3yo Sixline has fought with.

Yashia Goby - was able to hide until he became bigger
Clown Goby - ended up living in the refugium until he got bigger
Orchid dottyback - RIP
Royal Gramma - RIP (I saw the sixline poke him in the eye and he ended belly up the next day)
All Dartfish - RIPs
Tail Spot Blenny - RIP (no issues in the beginning until the blenny became bigger and more aggressive)

Like someone mentioned earlier, they stalk other fish and chase them to death before the lights go out. In the daytime, he has been a model citizen. If anyone wants one, I am planning to donate mine tomorrow at Nemo's. Has gotten to a point where it's not worth having an assassin in the tank anymore lol.

Well I got three of them together. They get along but one of the get agresive with the other fish of the aquarium. What I could do.

Lant;972278 wrote: List of fish my 3yo Sixline has fought with.

Yashia Goby - was able to hide until he became bigger
Clown Goby - ended up living in the refugium until he got bigger
Orchid dottyback - RIP
Royal Gramma - RIP (I saw the sixline poke him in the eye and he ended belly up the next day)
All Dartfish - RIPs
Tail Spot Blenny - RIP (no issues in the beginning until the blenny became bigger and more

I didn't know they'd harass these type fish, but I have never mixed a 6 line with these types either. Good to know. Thanks.

Back