MJ1200 Alternatives

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
What are some good MJ1200 alternatives. I have one powering my reactor and the outlet of that is going to my external skimmer for my biocube. I have it choked and can't stand the rattling and the pumps breaking on me. Plus with summer coming soon I don't need the extra heat this pump creates.

If you have it choked back why not just get a smaller model it would also reduce watts used so that would lower temp output

adamdaniel210;947439 wrote: If you have it choked back why not just get a smaller model it would also reduce watts used so that would lower temp output

I was thinking the same after I posted the question. Are Cobalts that much better than Marineland pumps?

Rodasphoto;947561 wrote: I was thinking the same after I posted the question. Are Cobalts that much better than Marineland pumps?

Yes, Marinelands MJ are actually not recommended for reactors or applications with back pressure. I'm more than certain this is what is causing them to break. The cobalt model sized to your application will do you fine and is built specifically for reactors.

Plus you gotta love that 3 year warranty, especially on a pump.

Rodasphoto;947561 wrote: I was thinking the same after I posted the question. Are Cobalts that much better than Marineland pumps?

Cobalts are definitely better. I was using marinelands for a couple of different things, and when i switched a few months back, the difference was huge!

Marinelands are made in China: junk
cobalt are made in Italy: quality.

I use an eheim compact 2000 pump for my dual brs reactor. Works great.

I have also used the eheim compact 1000, works great, too.

I've never used nor heard of cobalt, I'll have to take a looksie.

I also use an Eheim 1262 for my return...running for years and years...kinda scary now that I think about it! lol

mysterybox;947660 wrote: I use an eheim compact 2000 pump for my dual brs reactor. Works great.

I have also used the eheim compact 1000, works great, too.

I've never used nor heard of cobalt, I'll have to take a looksie.

I also use an Eheim 1262 for my return...running for years and years...kinda scary now that I think about it! lol

Nothing wrong with Eheim, nothing at all!

Back