Mods to a Coralife 65 SS

reeferboy83

Market
Reaction score
I am trying to find some mods I can do to a Coralife 65 SS. I have seen alot of mods to the inlet and outlets but I am looking to see if putting a larger pump on it would make it better? It has the RIO 1100 on it now but thinking about putting a mag 7 or 9. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks

If the pump is rated the same you would be OK but I wouldn't put a larger pump on it. The skimmer is prone to overflowing and increasing the GPH going into it would make it even more likely to overflow. When i ran one the best mods i found was installing a gate valve between the pump and skimmer, mesh modding the impeller and putting a good air valve on the air intake. The hands down best mod for this skimmer though is to add an ATO to your system. This skimmer is very sensitive to water level and an ATO will even out its performance.

The best mod would be to take the pump. Detach the skimmer then put an octopus skimmer back on the pump :D.

blu_devl_06;433882 wrote: HAHAHAHAHA!!! But John, when you traded me mine, you said they where SOOOOOOO great!!!:lol2::lol2::lol2:
LOL, I don't think great was the adgetive I used. Although I would trade you the current fission back for that one. :D

In all seriuosness though. They do work OK but are just very tempermental. There are better chioces out there before I would spend money and time modding the coralife.

I had consistent performance running in a sump chamber with a constant level (CSS 125).

I still like this pic for those who dog this skimmer.

Skimmate.jpg
alt="" />

johnr2604;433871 wrote: The best mod would be to take the pump. Detach the skimmer then put an octopus skimmer back on the pump :D.
Well I have better skimmer on my other tanks but short of just not using this one I like to find ways to make things run better! Actually this skimmer pulls alot of skimmate out! I just want to try to do some mods to it :thumbs:

Back