Moisture Issues

kappaknight

Market
Reaction score
When planning for a setup, how do/would you know if a particular setup would cause moisture problems or concerns? Would having a big tank in a living room cause issues? Would running the same tank in the basement?

I think Showtime has a good amount of experience with this. He tore down his 72g bowfront because it was causing huge moisture issues and I believe was causing mold to grow in parts of his living room ( i want to say near the window). I certainly think it is a concern hopefully he can chime in more.

I have my 55GAL and 30GAL Display with 37GAL Frag tank in a basement room. The moisture is a definite issue, not only does it cause mold to grow the bugs sem to be attracted to the room also. I am going to install a dehumidifier soon to help with the moisture issue. I know Horseziggy uses dehumidifiers in him basement. I imagine with a 400+ gal system his moisture problem is huge. Good luck!

heck i had it with my 25g anemone tank, granted it was right next to the window, but I did have some mold marks around the window sill....and I always found ladybugs near the tank, I guess they like the halide, or they thought it was a great sunny day at the beach.

Hrmm, so tank near window = bad... Are moisture issues less of a problem for tanks with a canopy vs. those without? Would a cooler house in general lessen the evaporation and moisture rising from the tanks?

I don't seem to have any issues with my 90 and I'm really not doing anything all that different or anything really to control it. So this is all news to me that small tanks can even have issues.

i have 2 dehumidifier in my house and now i purchased a dehumidifier for my air/heating to help with moisture good thing my brother has heating /cooling co these units are not cheap but what in salt water hobby is ??

<span style="color: black;">The moisture issues I had with my 72g were caused by evaporative cooling. I didn't have a chiller therefore this was my only method of cooling. If you can cool your tank without fans then your chance of seeing moisture issue drastically decreases. Even some people that run fans never see moisture issue because of the size or their homes, air is exchanged with outside air at a high rate or the humidity levels are naturally low. During the winter, the coolest rooms which happened to be every room except the tank room collected the most moisture on the windows.</span>

the rate of evap on my system is darn close to 5 gal a day my temp runs at 75 degrees at all times

Hrmm, on my 90 I think I'm losing about .5 gallons a day. Granted I think my temperature may go up to 81 or 82... but the corals are fine.

I was probably losing 2-3 gallons per day with my temp staying steady at 80. My total system volume was about 90 gallons.

Sal is your brother local and does he do home AC work? We are getting close to needing a new setup and would rather use someone I know or at least the brother of someone I know.

If you plan on using a chiller for cooling instead of evaporation, you should be fine.

Sorry I Haven't Looked At This My Brother Is In Chicago, He Drives In On A Friday And We Work All Weekend Till We Finish.

Back