Molting Emerald Crab?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
I know that crabs molt but I have never seen my molt before and it has been a long time since I saw him...Well today I finally found him...or not?

The crab shape is as far back in the shadows of my tank, to where I cant reach it or see clearly enough in order to determine whether this is a molt or a dead crab. It looks exactly like the whole body of the crab but missing a couple of legs and a claw.

There is a bunch of red leg moltings around him as well and my shrimp molted also....so I am hoping it is a molt...every time I do a WC my inverts molt but I have never seen the emerald do it.

I guess the question is, when they molt does it look like their whole body?

Yep. They'll leave the molt in the open and hide while they grow it back. I had a red mithrax crab molt the other day...he came back about twice as big.

thanks George....that makes me feel better....I love that guy....hopefully ill see him soon.

Is it normal for all my inverts to molt every time I do a WC?

You won't know if it is a molt or not unless you crack it open... it is that close.

Jgoal55;118796 wrote: I know that crabs molt but I have never seen my molt before and it has been a long time since I saw him...Well today I finally found him...or not?

The crab shape is as far back in the shadows of my tank, to where I cant reach it or see clearly enough in order to determine whether this is a molt or a dead crab. It looks exactly like the whole body of the crab but missing a couple of legs and a claw.

There is a bunch of red leg moltings around him as well and my shrimp molted also....so I am hoping it is a molt...every time I do a WC my inverts molt but I have never seen the emerald do it.

I guess the question is, when they molt does it look like their whole body?

Mine just molted and I thought he was just dead in the back and then he reappeared shiney and new....

I think mine molted 3 or 4 times in last 4 months...hes getting huge

I call my big emerald crab Goliath... I know they get bigger but I haven't seen it yet. He is now bigger than the first Goliath that got skewered for coral moving.

man....I still havnt sen my emerald since the day I posted this.....i think he croaked.....poor little guy.....he was awesome.

They are really good hiders. I rarely see mine and about once a month I see a HUGE claw come outta nowhere. I can't remember the last time I saw an actual full crab in my tank.

yeah the thing I used to se him about 1-2x a week in full.....completely out there....then came the period where i didnt see him for a while....the I saw the "molt" or "body" and havent seen him since.....we'll.......I gues Ill find out for sure when I tear down the tank.

Have you decided if you are going to take everything with you to Miami yet? Let me know if you aren't, I'd be interested in some of your LS! Thanks and hope you find the Emerald.

Not yet mark but dont worry you are one of the first in line......I haven't made that decision yet and probably wont until the last minute although I know thats going to screw me over.

Like I said..just pack everything up in buckets and battery airstones and you'll be fine. Just make it the first thing set up when you get there. The temps there will at least give you reprise unlike moving up north. Good lucka nd let me know if you need any help!

Back