money, money....lol

billyocean

Supporting
Reaction score
I bought a JBJ 28 FOR $100 w/stand. The tank is in decent shape AIO "obviously". Ro/Di is going to be for future but will be used now as far as volume and consistency. We have future plans to go much larger in the future. The tank was bought in hopes to get my wife and daughter into the reef keeping hobby. I bought the in tank media basket for more coverage, purigen, chemipure...floss at top. I have a 302 protein skimmer that i will hook up later. The problem is deciding on a ro/di that will last me for this and after. My tank is the Intermediate led. It has one upgraded maxi jet 12 because the other pump died. Anyone with recommendations or alternative options that has experience with a small tank please advise. planning on ditching the top (lights) when the led dies for kessill 160 or 360 (planning big tank later). Im kind of a perfectionist, in terms of "right the first time", any advice is appreciated.

I have researched all the BRS RO/DI as well. Just want some advice/responses

A little annoying I know..lol. Ive been a member for a long time and have not posted much. Reading and searching is mostly what I've studied as to not ask dumb questions. Its only a 28 gallon and was thinking filter floss, about a 1/2" live sand and a few pieces of live rock from the local LFS for and weekly WC for cycling.

First therebis never any dumb questions. We all are leaning new things evey day and there is a bunch of ways to do just anything in this hobby. That what makes our hobby so great. Unfortunately, i dont know much or have any experience to offer on a small tank.

We are currently auctioning off a Seachem 4 stage 100g rodi system. Here is the thread. Incredible price right now.

showthread.php

billyOcean;1110056 wrote: A little annoying I know..lol. Ive been a member for a long time and have not posted much. Reading and searching is mostly what I've studied as to not ask dumb questions. Its only a 28 gallon and was thinking filter floss, about a 1/2" live sand and a few pieces of live rock from the local LFS for and weekly WC for cycling.

Always better to ask a dumb question than to make a stupid mistake. We've all been there.

An RO/DI unit is only as good as the canisters used to hold the filters. You can always add on to it or upgrade components down the road. The one Brett mentioned is a good place to start. If you don't win it then keep looking in the for sale section. Otherwise check with one of our sponsors, Air, Water & Ice. Also if you become a paid member you will get the 10% off from all Club sponsors.

Nice. Bid going on now for RO/DI. Any advice on cycle? I have read and read and found many different opinions. Probably going with 20 lbs live sand..mostly BRS Pukanini/Reef Saver with a couple pieces of LR from the local LFS. Will run FF to begin/end cycle (Hope that sounds good). Btw, will be joining ARC as a member as soon as I get going i.e. get my starting equipment. The knowledge received from this place over the last 10 years is well worth the investment...much less the perks. Thank you.

Side note: My boss is looking for a roughly 120 x 24 x 36" tank in the area of 500 gallons if anyone has anything. lol..i know this is the nano forum.

Hey I think I have a New led hqi hood in my garage for a 28g jbj. If you want it's just let me know, it's just collecting dust. Also depending on what kind of live stock you want you may need more sand. I like gobies and shrimp so my sand beds are a little deeper

My hood is still gtg..but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it goes out. Is your hood the Intermediate or Professional? 1/2" was a short estimate..probably closer to 1"-1 1/4" at the deepest.

It's the JBJ MT-601-LED 28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Aquarium Professional

There isn't much difference from one brand to another on RO/DI manifolds. If you really want to be picky, look for one with housings that have buttress threads instead of Acme threads - the former are stronger and seal better. Having said that though, for most hobbyist applications, either will be fine, the unit won't be subject to stupid high pressure. In fact, in most cases, people have too low pressure.

The trick is in the filter cartridges and membranes. They aren't all the same. Keep the prefilters clean and change them regularly (they are CHEAP) and that prolongs the life of the membrane and DI (EXPENSIVE).

Jenn

Back