Money well spent ????

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
I found this writeup from a guy named Dennis on RC. Kinda scary - I think the numbers are about right! As much as we dont want to admit it.

A few years back there was an article on how big of an aquarium can you afford. They gave a break down on several levels of Aquarium keeping. Each step was basicly twice the step of a less complicated set up. If my recolection was correct it was something like this.

Fresh water fish only tank... $5.00 per gallon
Fresh water Planted Aquarium.. $10.00 pallon gallon
Salt Water Fish and Limited Inverts ... $20.00 per gallon
Complete reef aquarium ... $40.00 per gallon.

Now this articale gave complete set up information with a 30 gallon and 210 gallon set up in each of these sizes. There actual cost was unbelievably simular toi there per gallon estimates with the smaller tanks being higher by 5 to 10% and the larger tanks being slightly lower by 5 to 20%.

Now looking at those numbers and a full blown reef we could come up with a
30 gallon between $1,000 and $1,200
210 gallon between $6,700 and $8,400
500 gallon roughly $16,000
1,000 gallon probabluy near $32,000

Note in there estimating they used all top of the line comercial products with very little if any bargin hunting. They also included just about every bell and whistle out there.

I'd believe that. I've always been a harsh critic of the "buy as big a tank as you can afford" advice often given to new people. I prefer the aim lower and do it right method.

I agree with the 40.00 per gallon rule. It is very close to that if you do it right. Well done Chris.

I have decided that I can't say whether this hobby is "money well spent".

For most, value is defined as what you get for what you pay -- and the value equation is different for every person. And, sometimes there is no way to compute value. For example, what's the value of a gargage door opener?

Thus, for me, the question of 'money well spent" is difficult to answer in this hobby. The joy and satisfaction that I see in the face of my daughter and my wife (not to mention my own) is tremendous! How much is that worth? I really don't know nor have a way to compute it.

-gene

Back