Monte cap problem....Help

william1

Market
Reaction score
I have a nice monte cap that is good size. A few weeks ago I started to notice the polyps were not extending. A few days later the bottom started to turn white. When I say bottom I mean underside. The top side is orange. Now there is a patch thats turning white on the top.

I have had this piece for about 3 or 4 months with no problem. I have other caps that are doing great nothing wronge with them. Polyp extention is good growth is slower than normal since I bouth my T5's but no real change.

All my parameters are good.

P.h. 8.0
DKH 11.0
Calcium 600
Phosphates 0.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 0
mag 1200
salinity 1.023

Salinity seems a little low I like to keep my reefs at the store at 1.024 and higher. Maybe being at 1.023 for extended periods of time would do damage... But I would think it would be to all of the caps...

A few things to check.
Nudibranchs
calcium that high will cause precip which will play havok with your alk
Ph a little low
flow?
Salinity a little low
mag is low
phosphates can't be 0, so your test kit isn't testing a low enough range. Phates could be over 0.03

Wronge on calcium its 500 for flow I have 2 koralia 4's and 1 tunze 6025 modified. Plenty of flow all the other sps is fine nothing wronge. The P.H. has been low since I installed my calcium reactor. Been a little hard to tune in exactly.

calcium still too high.
Check phates with something that can detect that low. Check flow around monti. Check for nudi. How much bioload in tank? How many times do u feed fish? How much? New calcium reactor might be playing havok until you get it dialed in right.

I have six fish that I feed twice a day. So the bioload isnt there. I just bought 3 peppermint shrimp could that be the problem. Could they be picking out the polyps at night when Im sleeping. I think I might have to frag this one. Its turning white very fast about an inch since yesterday. Just a few days ago it seemed to be doing great. I dont know Im at witts end I dont want to loose this piece. HMMMMMM:(

The only thing it was near was a nem the whole time I have had it. Its near my watermellon chalice know a few inches. I had moved it a week ago into a new spot becuase it seemed to be having a problem. Since then its been doing better until the last couple of days.

dawgdude;196015 wrote: Was this your carpet that just split it was near?

Ya the carpet was under the cap about 4" away. Days after moving it there the carpet pulled under the LR and ripped his outside ring a bit and then a day later came back out. 2 days later the carpet moves this morning the carpet was stuck to my green and grey tipped acro. The acro seems to be doing well considering but has some damage on the lower half. Polyps are extended thow so hope for the best. Is the cap to close to the carpet?

I agree with dawgdoodoo a little on the food thing, it would really depend upon how much & what you feed. Then again, you really don't know what your phates are. could be, maybe not?

agree to frag

nem? that would do it in a heartbeat!
peppermints will 99.9% sure not cause that.

I will frag tonight and move away from the nem. I like the nem but love the SPS. Not sure what to do. I really am getting into SPS more and more so What will happen when my SPS get huge and the nem decides to move? Just loose a bunch of coral:( At a crossroads HMMMM

Back