Monti Polyps

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
So, I got a really nice frag of 'jedi mind trick' monti this weekend at the meeting. Thanks @FutureInterest ! I put it on my monti frag rack and have been keeping a close eye on it. Turns out, the polyps are getting smaller and smaller. Then I start to look at the rest of the monti's I have on it and sure enough, they all have pretty small polyps. I didn't really notice because color is good and there's evident growth on everything, just small polyps. I have them under T5s with about 180 par and not too much flow. I'm wondering, what can I do to get better polyps extension?

The options I've got in mind are:
  • Moving them to a little lower light. I used to keep them in a number of different racks until I combines them all on one. I've got on rack that's close to 145/150 par. Maybe a little less light will bring out the polyps? i.e. reaching for the light?
  • Increase flow. I would assume that lower flow would allow for better polyp extension but there's not a ton of flow going across the rack right now. Will increasing the flow help bring out the polyps?
Edit: I don't know if this is related or not but I have a few monti digis and a bird of paradise frag on the same rack under the same conditions and they're down right furry with polyp extension.

Put them as far down as possible for a few weeks and slowly move them up if desired. On the sand bed or tank bottom is good. See it they improve there.

Back