Monti slowly fading from red to pink

jon150g

Market
Reaction score
I have a monti that seems to be slowly fading. Is there a nutrient that they need like iron or is there a additive that will take care of it all. I have been switching my test kits to red sea and I am realizing how off my API test kits are. So now my parameters are more in line. I'm running kalkwasser in ato and carbon dosing. Would adding another nutrient interupt any of these?

I believe that your nitrate level is too low, I’m assuming that you are testing zero nitrate?? Or phosphate too low, corals need nitrate and phosphate to grow, when levels are too low corals will fade and loose the vibrancy. It’s easy to overdose carbon on search of clean water, I recommend googling redfield ratio it is the ratio of carbon(106) to nitrate(1) tobphosphate (1) or 106:1:1 ppm

According to the API test kit nitrate and phosphate are undetectable. But there was a pretty substantial difference in the red sea alk and Mg tests and the API i haven't upgraded any other tests yet. Don't really trust the API tests any more.

API test kits are horrible, I really recommend using Hanna checker at least for nitrate and phosphate being that they are at such low levels, color meters are pretty bad for low level test accuracy. I recommend 2-5ppm nitrate and .03 phosphate. If your nitrate is too low you can either dump some skimmate back in the system or turn off your skimmer for a couple days.

I reduced feedings. I will bring them back to normal and get some Hanna checkers.

They definitely need other stuff too. How are your other corals?

All the others are doing great. Except for the gonaporia is pretty much gone since i moved it.

Just curious, is the whole Monti fading or are there just sections of it fading?  Also how long have you noticed the fading?

Without posting your numbers (All, CA, Mag, Nitrate, Phosphate) there isn't much help we can do. The only trusted PO4 reading comes from a Hanna checker.

I'm leaning towards lack of phosphates, not nitrates. But without your numbers, we are just spit balling here

You need "some" nutrients in the tank. Water can be too clean. Alkalinity and lighting seem to affect color the most in my experience. What is your lighting, and how far down is it away from the lights?

I had one fade from what I believe to be nutrient competition. Was growing great then added a couple large colonies and growth stopped. Maybe chemical warfare, placement or alk/cal/mg.

I be live it is nutrient being low.

Alk. Is staying right around 9-10 dkh

Calcium is 450

Mg is up to 1600 to try and kill off some algae

Ammonia, phosphate, nitrate,nitrite are undetectable on my API tests

Thinking of getting red sea reef energy and maybe red sea ABCD to start adding but not very familiar with how it works in conjunction with kalkwasser so may just start with reef energy.

Rit for Atlanta Aquarium was talking to me about using Reef Energy (since he does) and a couple of other Red Sea supplements and his tanks are pretty immaculate. Corals use nutrients as a food source, sometimes they still need to "eat" (reef energy), alkalinity and calcium just help them grow and maintain their exoskeleton.

Don't make things too complicated. People get a little crazy with supplements. Try changing placements in the tank first. Maybe 1 week low in a low flow spot, then the opposite, etc. In the meantime, add some nutrients (shrimp cube). Just my 2 cents.

If all your parameters are in acceptable ranges the first thing I would do is try lowering the placement, might be getting too much light.  Also is this a monti cap or an encrusting monti, I keep a lot of encrusting monties and find too much light is usually the reason for fading colors.

Adding elements is not the same as nutrients. Redsea has a great program, but I do believe it’s a little extreme considering that the problem is likely too clean water. I also think it’s time to discontinue the api kits, it you are willing to buy the color program you should invest in some proper test kits. Why is your magnesium at 1600? That’s too high.

Back