Montipora Bleaching.....?

twhaddon

Market
Reaction score
I have only had this Montipora a couple of months. Just in the last few weeks my Green Polyps started dying and I could not figure out why and now I have noticed what I believe is a slight bleaching on my Montipora (see pic). Any ideas of what I can try?

I have done a 25% water changed, moved out of more light (since put him back on bottom in open), added Prime.

Below is my equipment and parameters if it helps...

Equipment
Tank is about 8 months old
120 Gallon Tank 24 x 24 x 48
RO/DI with 150 upgrade kit
Bubble Magus Curver 7 Skimmer (185g - 240g)
40 Gallon DIY Sump
Dual GFO/Carbon reactor from BRS (Use PhosGuard by Seachem)
Hamilton Fiji Sun T5 HO Fluorescent Lighting System with LEDs
Coralite Turbo Twis 9 watt UV Sterilizer
2 Sicce Voyager 3 Wavemaker pumps (1200 gph)

Temp 78.7

Red Sea Kit
Alkalinity 11.2
Calcium 405 (I think is a little low - will try to bring up)
Madnesium 1300

API Kit (I know, I know, going to get new soon)
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate < 10
Phosphate < 0.1
Refractometer
Salinity 1.025

Inhabitants
Ocellaris Clown
Blue Reef Chromis
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Flame Hawkfish
Foxface Lo
Tiger Watchman Goby

3 Emerald Crabs
2 Cleaner Shrimp
Some blue legged crabs
Mexican Turbo Snails and other

Green Electric Mushroom (is better now, but still not normal)
Yello Polyps
Green Button Polyps (they are now doing so well either)
Micro Polyp
Brain Coral
Rocordea Mushroom
Baby Hammerhead showed up
and of course, the Montipora Coral (Bleaching)
Some Zoas

Any help is appreciated - still new to this world.
Thanks
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

In the past I have found that if the temp in my tank drops too much I have lost montipora corals. Not sure if you saw a temp drop recently with the cold weather but that could contribute.

what about high nutrients? i noticed some algae in there. or maybe its not getting enough light?

bobz;926930 wrote: In the past I have found that if the temp in my tank drops too much I have lost montipora corals. Not sure if you saw a temp drop recently with the cold weather but that could contribute.

Could be. We had a power outage last week on Monday for a few hours. I actually went out to get a generator just because of the tank and when I cam back it came back on. The temo got down to about 74 I believe.

Edit:
indecloudzua;926933 wrote: could also be montipora eating nudi's..

How can you tell if there are nudi's on it?

Edit:
Picoreefguy;926934 wrote: what about high nutrients? i noticed some algae in there. or maybe its not getting enough light?

There is some hair algae I am have issues with. I did a big water change, GFO, and just this week started to attempt to use Waste Away from Dr Tims. Keep in mind this was after I noticed the bleaching. I will do another water change this weekend.

The lights are only about 9 months old and they are T5's HO lighting. The tank is only 24" deep and the Montipora is out in the open with no obstruction to the lights. I only keep the daylights on for 6 hours though to try and control more of the algae.

They usually come out at night.or you can look underneath it and see them. Do a search for Monti eating nudis to see what they look like

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't think just a drop of a few degrees would be a problem. Probably some other cause....

I would start with getting your water tested.. particularly alk. I'm not knocking on our tank at all, but every coral in the picture looks to have the same issue... bleaching / recession.

Something is out of whack somewhere

b

Yea, I understand. I used Red Sea to test the alk and it seemed fine. Maybe I will got lfs to test it as well.

Would it be a good idea to maybe take the Monti and let sit in a coral dip?

snowmansnow;926970 wrote: i would start with getting your water tested.. Particularly alk. I'm not knocking on our tank at all, but every coral in the picture looks to have the same issue... Bleaching / recession.

Something is out of whack somewhere

b

+1

Back