Montipora Digitata

joshl

Market
Reaction score
i have been reading that they will thrive under pc is this true and if so is there a certain color that will grow better?

They'll do fine under PC but will probably either turn brown or remain brown. I wouldn't spend big money on colorful digis to keep under PC.

Jenn

Kind of a loaded question ...

Many will survive - but again, color will brown out without lots of light.

I grew a nice chalice from a bottlecap sized frag, til it was too big for my 12-g nano and now it's a mother colony in my prop system.

I have customers keeping acros in nanos under PC...

Do I recommend that? No, not really - but they can and do, do alright.

Just don't expect tremendous color or fast growth.

Jenn

ok i have 4x65 lighting on my 50 gallon now and everything is growing very well even teh anem.. it was teh size of a baseball and then it grew bigger than my hand until it met up wiht the power head lol and now its one its way back to teh size of my hand

I had good luck with plating montiporas near the top with pc's
Wayne

I know many people who have thriving digitatas under high wattage MH but personally I have to keep them near the substrate in my systems with MH. The 4 variaties I have all preferred less intense lighting and would actually lose color and polyp extension if I had them off the bottom of the tank. My tanks are fairly shallow (18") with 150 MH's. Most are sitting on the substrate now and have awesome coloration. My experiences lead me to think digitatas would be just fine under adequate wattage PC's if they are high enough and the spectrum is adequate.

I have some orange and green that I've broken during maintanance you're welcome too.....but Auburn is pretty far.

i could swing by there on saturday how much would you want for them?

They are "maintenance" frags and not necessarily pretty. I wasn't planning on charging for them, just giving them to you to see how they survive instead of you wasting money on bigger frags. I may have some purple broken off behind my rockwork too. I hate digis......you look at them wrong and they snap:doh:

Use a bit of strontium - that will strengthen them as they grow. ;)

cool well i thank you and i should be able to pick them up on saturday or sunday if thats ok i work until 8pm every night so i couldnt get them after work

I want to say ST was like 10-11 mgl last time I checked (not too often). I'll have to look back in my log to confirm. If I recall that was upper band. Should I be trying to get more?

Back