montipora vs acropora

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
At one time montipora was one of my favorites. But things change.The young acropora are in for a battle. The montis are encrusting to the rock almost touching the young frags. Do I intervene . And if so,and do what?

Found some info, It said that acropora and millipora will win most of the time
It also said millipora can kill acropora even an inch away. This is new to me.:wow2:

That tells me i can't believe everything I read. I guess Ineed to try to move acros or try to kill or stop monti.

Millipora IS Acropora. Millipora is the specie, Acropora is the genus. Montipora is a genus too.

Examples: Acropora millipora. Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornus, etc.

Having said that, it would depend on which species you have, and what they are doing battle with. Not all species within a genus, behave similarly.

Jenn

Thanks. Everyone.Think I'm going to move my acros.
I got to move fast. You can almost watch monti growing in front of you.

Move the Monti down if you can, the Acro will do better high...

If you happen to break some nice plating Monti, I just happen to know some one who lost hers when her heater blew out her tank :)

There is more then one monti,and they are attached to alot of rocks.
I spent the last fours hrs moving acros. I'm not happy, I hate monti cap.
It makes me want to start all over. Only good thing about this, It lets me know I can grow acros. I have alot more frags now . mostly monti cap.

Well, after a good night sleep.And looking at my acros. They are still poylping. So, i guess it was all good. Now my goal is to to get all monti cap out. This is some that got to come out.But as you see, They are so encrusted to rock.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1078164=66984-attachment.jpg
>
1078164=66984-attachment.jpg
class="gc-images" title="attachment.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Shoot me some pictures? I'm sure I catch at the expo! Don't forget my dear monti is much easier to grow than Arco 10 X's over!
With that said I'm sure you'll do great :)

When I redo my rock and coral placement, these caps will find a new home. Its going to be a major project. Here are a few pics. also is a red dragon that is growing like monti.

Back