Moon lights DYI

camellia

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm looking to add some moon lights to my 4' for aesthetics. Has anyone used these lights or similar? I've got a 12v, timers, etc..

Other recommendations or suggestions appreciated.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/checkout/?cart_shared=f37b360cb8583ace96dda8ca3cf6cb23">https://www.superbrightleds.com/checkout/?cart_shared=f37b360cb8583ace96dda8ca3cf6cb23</a>

I've got two types currently in the cart, which one do you like best? Why?

Bgcoop8784;975084 wrote: the LED sign module has higher wattage LEDs..

but for around the same price you could buy this.. and I've had really good luck with rapid and great customer service so far.
http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/">http://www.rapidled.com/4-led-solderless-moonlight-kit/</a>[/QUOTE]

I didn't think about looking at Rapid. I've purchased from them also and been very pleased.

From what I remember of their LEDs and looking at that kit, I don't think it would be enough light for a 4'. Agree i am talking moon lights but there are only 4!

I used the ribbon LEDs, they are sold locally at car parts stores (advance, auto zone, oreily ect.). I currently use magenta and its pretty neat, I would say half of the original intensity(bright) at about 2 years of constantly being on. At the time I worked for Advance Auto and I got like 2 foot of it for 6$ on the discontinued shelf.

kilralpine;975138 wrote: I used the ribbon LEDs, they are sold locally at car parts stores (advance, auto zone, oreily ect.). I currently use magenta and its pretty neat, I would say half of the original intensity(bright) at about 2 years of constantly being on. At the time I worked for Advance Auto and I got like 2 foot of it for 6$ on the discontinued shelf.

Well Gee thanks! I'm sure I'm not going to find that steel of a deal! Lol

I got quite lucky with those, bought 3 colors red-blue-magenta. They look identical to what you linked above; sticky back and all. I just placed it on the reflector facing down at an angle in my 6xT5 shroud, it runs on the same 12v DC adapter I have running the shroud and canopy fans.

You're running an apex, right? Why not just use their moonlights with the lunar sim?

I do run an apex, I will eventually buy the module. Couldn't beat a few yes worth moonlight for a few dollars tho

camellia-

I've actually played around quite a bit with these strips. They are absolutely amazing... if they are for decorative purposes only.. just make sure you thread them through some clear acrylic plastic or clear rubber tubing to keep the moisture out and you'll be good to go.

Hope you know how to use a soldering iron!

I say go for it. If you could grow corals and anemones on these bad boys I'd have a hood full of them.

OceanDeep85;975332 wrote: camellia-

I've actually played around quite a bit with these strips. They are absolutely amazing... if they are for decorative purposes only.. just make sure you thread them through some clear acrylic plastic or clear rubber tubing to keep the moisture out and you'll be good to go.

Hope you know how to use a soldering iron!

I say go for it. If you could grow corals and anemones on these bad boys I'd have a hood full of them.

I agree, make sure its soldered; that is the only place its likely to fail. I wouldn't worry about surrounding the strip itself in anything the led(s) are sealed inside. After 2 years being over the top of mine I have no rusting or degradation anywhere.

Sounds good!
I've got no problems soldering as long I don't do it on my nice wood desk next time! :)
Thanks

haha.. they've made these strips pretty foolproof, Camellia. I think you'll do great and they'll probably look awesome. Plus they're super customizable. You may want to think about a dimmer, though, if you are using them for moonlighting. I think someone may have mentioned that already but, just a thought. Let us know how it goes!

OceanDeep85;975566 wrote: haha.. they've made these strips pretty foolproof, Camellia. I think you'll do great and they'll probably look awesome. Plus they're super customizable. You may want to think about a dimmer, though, if you are using them for moonlighting. I think someone may have mentioned that already but, just a thought. Let us know how it goes!

I guess I'll find out about a dimmer in a few days.
Thanks

Camellia;975953 wrote: I guess I'll find out about a dimmer in a few days.
Thanks

well, the only problem is, depending on what you're working with as far as individual LEDs on that strip, some of them can put out a TON of lumens, so your "moonlighting" may actually end up looking like moon spotlights. :) Probably won't hurt anything but won't be the look you're going for.. plus, without knowing your setup.. there could maybe be some corals closer to the surface of your tank that could be agitated by it.

OceanDeep85;975956 wrote: well, the only problem is, depending on what you're working with as far as individual LEDs on that strip, some of them can put out a TON of lumens, so your "moonlighting" may actually end up looking like moon spotlights. :) Probably won't hurt anything but won't be the look you're going for.. plus, without knowing your setup.. there could maybe be some corals closer to the surface of your tank that could be agitated by it.

Doubt this will be an issue, having worked around them NO led strips I have found are bright enough to keep fish awake at night. At first it was semi bright but it affected nothing negatively. It appears bright but lumen wise they are way low, lower than the add-on setup for the Apex.

I used the ones from oreilys auto parts and for some reason it made my mandarin float around like he was dead. He would get stuck in the overflow hit my bta took me a few nights to realize it was the lights. Never used them again and this hasn't happened again. The blues from my blackbox LEDs don't do this to him though.

Back