moon lights on all night?

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
Is it good to leave the moonlights on all night? Or do the little guys need darkness too?

depends on the moonlights I think total darkness personally. I am merely just speaking on logic and I very well could be wrong but it seems like to me my corals look better when they get a 8-10 dark cycle.

on my old fixture it had 4 LED moonlights, they werent that bright so i turned them on every night and the fish were fine. My clarkii knew it was bed time when they came on, because the second they did he darted right into his anemone for the night

Moonlights are for us, not them... unless you are trying to induce spawning. Even then, you'd need a lunar cycle to be reproduced assuming it would even help. My opinion is that on all night is fine (though sort of pointless) unless they're very bright. I've seen some moonlights that were about like half-brightness actinics. In that case, I'd say no.

in my old fixture the moonlights would make my zoas/palys stay open if they were directly under them. they were on the sand in my old 75 gal tank.

If you look at the roles of ADP and ATP in the photosynthesis cycle - don't let them ON all night.
If they're dim you might be okay - but I wouldn't risk it over a pointless light if nobody sees it anyway...

Back