Moonlights DIY

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has made a good DIY moonlight setup. I have some blue LEDs that I wired up and tested, but they have a little too much of a concentrated beam, so I thought about drilling holes in a reflector for them to mount in to spread the light a little. Any ideas or tips?

fry,s has all sorts of crazy leds and parts. Contemplating making my own moonlights. are you doin blue, white, or actinic leds?

I'm using blue probably. I wet to fry's looking for the wide beam LEds like you find in those fixtures since they spread the light real nice, but no luck. I was actually really disappointed in their selection of both LEDs and fuses.

I've seen those simulators. Neat, but I dont think I really can justify it. Good for spawning critters? Very neat though. I just want a night light really. THe dark scares me.

I have one site that i have under my favorites on my computer that i will send you. i know they have a huge selection of leds.

I made one that I installed at the bottom corner of my reflectors pointing up. It used the reflector to refelct the light!

Exactly what I was thinking Raj. I have a scrap T5 reflector I was thinking of installing the LED's into aiming into the array. Just didnt want to drill (aka destroy) the reflector for no reason.

Yeah, I didn't drill it. I was ghetto and used twist-ties that I gaffled from Kroger :)

Initially I thought the MH would melt the led, but all is well..no problemas.

I picked up these on clearance at advanced autoparts for $15. They are the perfect color blue, bright as hell, and waterproof. all you need is a 12 volt adapter.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
197570=11809-360426B_LED_gloz_blue.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
197570=11809-360426B_LED_gloz_blue.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="360426B_LED_gloz_blue.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

such a shame jeff, for something that beautiful to go over your tank when you should be installing them under your ride........j/k..lol

If you wanna go cheap, go to lowes and buy the blue rope lights, thats what i did for my first setup and it worked gret!

They are still in the package. I often think about mounting them under my 3 wheeled bike but am torn between what to do with them when I look over at my naked pinto on blocks in the back yard.

Wwyd?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
197582=11811-2-Fotos_141d.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
197582=11811-2-Fotos_141d.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2-Fotos_141d.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
197582=11810-pinto3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
197582=11810-pinto3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="pinto3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I'm using blue cold cathode tubes. They are hooked up to an AC 12v adapter.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=168042&postcount=33">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=168042&postcount=33</a>

I just put four purple ones on my sons pico for some cheap actinics. They don't add much color but they are good morning/evening lights.

LorenK;198227 wrote: I'm using blue cold cathode tubes. They are hooked up to an AC 12v adapter.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=168042&postcount=33">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=168042&postcount=33</a>

I just put four purple ones on my sons pico for some cheap actinics. They don't add much color but they are good morning/evening lights.[/QUOTE]
hey i have one of them in the truck i just got what all will i need to use it in my tank?

Loren,
Could these be seperated into one bulb on one side and another on the other side

I thought about those cathodes tubes. I just wasnt sure how they'd like. Sounds like an idea.

Just get a 12v adapter...I suggest one where you can vary the output so they can be dimmed. Full on, they are a bit bright for moonlights.

jgilley84;198242 wrote: hey i have one of them in the truck i just got what all will i need to use it in my tank?

Sure...I have one on one side and the other on the other side. The wires are about 2' long from the ballast so my ballast is in the canopy. You could easily lengthen them though.

roundman;198244 wrote: Loren,
Could these be seperated into one bulb on one side and another on the other side

LorenK;198252 wrote: Just get a 12v adapter...I suggest one where you can vary the output so they can be dimmed. Full on, they are a bit bright for moonlights.

Sure...I have one on one side and the other on the other side. The wires are about 2' long from the ballast so my ballast is in the canopy. You could easily lengthen them though.
dumb ??? but where can i get one at???

Back