More Bad News

cameron

Market
Reaction score
Thought I would post... skimmer exploded tonight... literally. Well it was a pump, but it did take some PVC that connects to the skimmer with it.

Fortunately I have two new GenX pumps that will be going on it with mesh mods as soon as I can get a replacement connector part so everything should be better than new. Course I have to wait until the part comes in.

Bad news number two... call Mike and ask what cool skimmers he has for sale and what do I get? Nada... Mike had no skimmers that would work for me for sale. Holy crap, I think armageddon may be approaching.

My bad tank luck continues... nudis eating zoas and exploding skimmers. Good times.

dude you should upgtade to a das skimmer this is one bad *** skimmer i love mine thanks for directing me to it

I did... I talked to the guy and he will ship it out Monday two day but could be here in one if a bit lucky.

I was going to get the EX3, but went with the EX2 to save a few bucks. It should be more than enough for my tank. It is better than the AE I have now and the AE was pulling out a lot of skimmate. With the two meshmodded 2400s going on the AE, it will be a beast and probably as good as the EX2 but I can't wait the 2 weeks for the part to come in so I guess I will be moving my fixed AE265 for a song in a couple weeks.

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">you need it until the DAS gets here, just let me know
</span>I talked to Mike and he mentioned the same thing, but I have a Deltec Turbo 1250 limping me along right now (and pulling out a scary amount of gunk from my tank... emptied the cup twice now with some very dark skimmate). Many thanks for the offer though.

its not like you have a full blown sps tank
I have A LOT of SPS. I probably have at least 30 SPS some of which are easily 8" plus so water quality is a major concern. My problem is I am in the middle of some "experiments" to rid myself of those nudis so my water quality isn't in the best shape. My ORP is dropping like a rock.

Is the other skimmer completely totaled? Or do you think it could be salvaged with some work?
The pump is totalled and the skimmer has a crack in the PVC union. The problem is that it sheered off the part that screws into the pump from the PVC union. It is a VERY simple fix but as AE used metric glued PVC fittings I pretty much have to go through them for the part. Good news is they have great customer service. Bad news is the part is going to take a while to get here.

Cameron, any idea what caused the catastrophe? Anything others should do to avoid something like this?

Or is it one of those things that just happens?

:(

After dealing with DAS for 6 years with year long waits for replacement system pumps, failing floatvalves, leaky tanks, the only good thing is that they make a great skimmer, as long as you don't need a replacement pump.

DannyBradley;84080 wrote: After dealing with DAS for 6 years with year long waits for replacement system pumps, failing floatvalves, leaky tanks, the only good thing is that they make a great skimmer, as long as you don't need a replacement pump.

They have had some problems in the past with customer service (usually not packaging well and items arriving broken) but it appears as if they have made some improvements. I've had to contact them a couple of times for small parts recently and have been pleasantly surprised! As far as the skimmers go, you can also call the various Petorama stores directly. They also carry parts for the skimmers and if they have what you need, they will ship.

Cameron, any chance something got sucked into the pump intake and caused the failure? Did you have a guard on the inlet?

I have a large needlewheel skimmer that you can borrow if you want. Its pretty large and pulls a lot of skimmages.

Honestly dude, it could be soooo much worse. Imagine coming home to find your tank dead (a la Steve Weast
a>).  You'll pull through.  You know A LITTLE BIT about skimmers.

Cam, what model # skimmer came apart? Do you have a photo?
Im trying to picture what you need, and how it broke.

Back