More Training Needed

pbyrmartin

Market
Reaction score
I went into to a Petco today close to where I live, I was checking out the saltwater section and I saw a dispar Anthias hanging on for its life.
I called the the sales person over and he said he just empty the bag in the tank so I asked him how long did he acclimated the fish, he gave me a look then I knew he was not familiar with acclimation.
Then he said I just float the bag for 20 min.
I then explain to him why you have to acclimate saltwater fish.
About the build up of CO2 in the bag, depends on how long the fish is in the bag it will lowers the ph in the water, and when you just dump the fish in your system with a higher ph you will send the fish into shock.
He was very grateful for the info I gave him, hope he starts to practice it.
But it seems petco have expanded there fish list, power blue tangs and such.
They just need to get knowledgeable people or train the ones they have.
Needless to say I did not get the Anthias as much as I want some.

You should have told him about mismatched salinity cause that's worse than ph.

I think petco now owns doctors foster and smith so no doubt there stock list should improve.

Tbub1221;1030323 wrote: I think petco now owns doctors foster and smith so no doubt there stock list should improve.

It's a shame they are killing these fishes in petco
Almost all the saltwater fish in there look stress including a powder blue tang

I know I was there about 3 weeks ago to grab magnesium as its the only close source and was somewhat disturbed.
We need a good reef shop on the east side

i have been into a few petco stores and its all the same, very poor quality and care.
it's very sad.

Yup same here. There was all kinds of parasites over their fish. No wonder they have 30% off. Makes you wonder surely you should have some kinda of aquatic experience. Especially been "ambassadors" of the hobby I used to take advice from them till I got educated. I'm still learning but I won't go near a PETCO it's such a shame. You would think as many complaints. The supplies would know what conditions their stock where going that they would try make a change. Seems it's just a dollar thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be tempted to ask them for a water sample and test their water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquatics departments in those big box stores aren't meant to be profitable for the store. They're a convenience for the shopper. I've been told that by someone who worked at corporate for one of the two big chains.

They don't care, period.

The real money is in dog and cat toys and accessories and all that fun stuff.

Aquatics is an afterthought, and it shows.

Pick a local independent dealer - they care.

Jenn

Back